Foot problems.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by foxychicks, Jan 27, 2014.

1. foxychicks

foxychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    I've got a 12 wk old pelt that has some foot problems. She is completely missing a nail on one foot. It looks lie it fell off. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Any idea what it is or suggestions on treatment. BTW, that's not poop on the bottom of her feet. It's brown scaly stuff.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks to me like she has some frostbite on the bottoms of her feet and tips of the toes. Has she been roosting on something metal? Is it very cold where you live? If you think it is frostbite, soak her feet in warm epsom salts twice a day, and apply some neosporin ointment to her feet. Don't pop any blisters.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. foxychicks

Jan 10, 2013
    I just got her and she was in a metal dog crate with a light. The others that were with are fine. I did soak her feet and got some debris off. It is frostbite. I think she is probably going to loose part of a middle toe. Thanks for the reply.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. foxychicks

Jan 10, 2013
    Thank you! I was just about to start searching. I think she will be ok. I'm pretty certain the end knuckle of her one middle toe is dead. It's shriveled and black. Thanks again for your help!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Oh poor thing looks like she will always have cold weather problems [​IMG]

8. foxychicks

Jan 10, 2013
    She is doing really well with the soaks. But she may decide to be a house chicken after this is over. At least in the winter.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't blame her LOL because it is -5 where I live this morning. Glad she likes the spa treatments. I've never seen frostbitten feet, but I would think it is promising that the frostbite didn't affect the thickness of the feet. Hopefully the bottom skin will peel and re-grow.

10. foxychicks

Jan 10, 2013
    It already is. The soaks are working great. It seems to feel really good. She falls asleep almost instantly when I put her feet in. I'm in GA. We got 2" of snow yesterday. It's supposed to get to 15 tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by