foot stamping and squatting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bokboklady, Sep 16, 2010.

1. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Hi everyone, i have four ' girls ' all about 21 weeks, one ( blackie ) is very stand offish ( as mentioned in a previous post ), all the others come to me for cuddles and treats, but this one dosnt and keeps her distance, when i go into the coop or run she squats and stamps her feet, is this aggressive or submisive behaviour?, i think she is the one that is giving an egg nearly every day as she appears to be more red around the comb and wattles than the others, would appretiate some opinions on this, thanks in advance, chrissie

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Stomp feet, squat, raise wings...sound like the mating squat to me. Pet her, she will stick her rear in the air, when you are done, she'll fluff her feathers and walk away. She is submitting to you as her "roo".

3. bokboklady

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:thanks for that, i have just shown one of the other girls where the nest box is and shes settled down doing her buisiness, so i wish i could get hold of blackie and do the same for her, then perhaps she would be a bit more settled.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Yes, some of my hens squat when I go to pick them up. Being submisive.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yup. She thinks you are her roo. [​IMG]

6. MammaMoose

MammaMoose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    I have one that does that too whenever I go near her. My daughter and I call it the chicken dance. It's quite funny. I just lean down, pet her and give her some love. My older ones do the chicken squat, but not the fancy footwork.
    [​IMG]

7. bokboklady

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks everyone for that, i actually managed to pick blackie up earlier on and she sat on my lap enjoying the cuddle, then hopped off all pleased with herself, like she had overcome some sort of dread, so hopefully now she will come to me more happily than before.

8. bokboklady

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:blimey, what would happen if i did put a roo in with them, i spose i would get dumped !!!.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:blimey, what would happen if i did put a roo in with them, i spose i would get dumped !!!.

Yup, you'd get dumped. My chickens rarely squat for me anymore. They have enough squatting from the 2 roosters that are in with them.

10. jakes bayou

jakes bayou Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2014
    wow. I was in the pen giving them some mealworms and one of mine (I think one of the two who just started laying) did the chicken dance for me. I thought she was scared so I picked her up and petted her. I didn't realize I was making love to her....

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by