FOOT SUDDENLY MISSING: UPDATES with video

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iBoodle, May 20, 2011.

1. iBoodle

iBoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    I came out to let my chickens out this morning from their coop and the first thing I saw was blood-everywhere! One of the chicken's (Malachi) middle claw thing was bloody, so I thought that's where all of the blood came from, but then Peep stood up and her little foot is all curled under and she has blood all over her chest/stomach. I don't know what happened! It kinda looks like she is missing a toe, but I don't know!

When I put them away last night it was dark, so I don't know if it happened last night or during the middle of the night. I don't know if a cat got them or what. I need help! Do I rinse off their feet? Antibiotic cream? Bandaids?

I want to be a vet, but I don't know if I can handle this! I cry whenever an animal gets hurt [​IMG]

Becca

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    The blood is on the foot? I might be wrong and if I am hopefully someone with more experience will post. I would rinse the foot off and see where exactly the wound is. I know you can use neosporin without the pain medicine in it. I would isolate her and give her electolytes. And maybe some yogurt scrambled eggs. Good luck and I hope someone else can help

3. iBoodle

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    Well the blood is on Malachi's toe, and Peep's foot is really curled under, and she won't stand up.
    Thanks, I am going to go out and give them some treats...I just feel really bad that I can't do anything but rinse it off. [​IMG]

4. iBoodle

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    Malachi is missing half of her middle toe, and Peep is missing basically her whole right foot. She has half of one of her front toes, and then the back toe.

Please help! I gave them scrambled egg and they ate it right up, and then they ate a little of the yogurt. Peep just kinda lays there and makes sad little pained sounds. I don't know what to do, so I just kinda stood there and cried. I washed off Malachi's foot and put some neosporin on it but I can't even begin to think of what to do for Peep!

Oh and when Peep poops its really watery and yellow/white. I'm afraid she's dying [​IMG]
    Becca

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  5. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I tried to google what to do. Did not see anything. Is it still bleeding? You do need to take her out and isolate her. I did read that if it is still bleeding you can use flour in a emergency to stop it. I would clean it off real good and put the neosporin on her. And maybe wrap it until someone else can help. I am so sorry I can not help more. If I find any info I will let you know. Good luck

6. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I pmed you

7. iBoodle

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    No I don't think it's bleeding, it's a little swollen though. I guess I am just afraid to touch her because I feel like I will hurt her. I have a feeling that a cat or some other animal did this. I am going to go out and wrap her in a towel, wash it opff in a bowl of water and then put the cream on and maybe a bandage. I don't want to lose her!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Rats??? A fight???? How awful, good luck [​IMG]

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It sounds like maybe a rat got into the coop and chewed the toes while they were sleeping. Number one with any sick bird is to isolate it. Keep it quiet, warm, and dry. Wash with water or saline, like you did. Try to find where the injury is and where the bleeding is coming from. One good thing to have in your chicken first aid kit is Blu-Kote. It is an antibiotic, antifungal wound coating. Something like that helps to seal the wound. Not sure a bandaid would last long on a chicken.

Vitamins and electrolytes in the water would be good, or Polyvisol without iron. They need all the help they can get to heal.

So sorry this happened. Check your coop for any small openings where a rat could have gotten in.

Last edited: May 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by