Foot Trouble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arpacker, Jan 12, 2014.

1. arpacker

arpacker New Egg

Aug 23, 2012
    Hi there! I need some help with one of my Buff Orpington girls. Noticed today that her feet are swollen, one worse than the other. One of them has a blister-like thing on the bottom and is more swollen than the other. It doesn't look like bumblefoot to me, but we are still newbies to some of these chicken things. She is about 17months old and has also started her first molt, but seems like the molt is taking her longer than the other chickens as well. I have 2 of these Orpingtons that were hatched at the same time and the other one has completed her molt. Is this chicken lost to me? I'm not sure what to do at this point other than to isolate her from the rest of them. Please help! If I can't save her I just need to know. Thanks!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Did she get frostbite?

3. arpacker

arpacker New Egg

Aug 23, 2012
    We had un-normal temperatures here on Tuesday. In the very low single digits, while in the negative teens including wind chill. I thought about the frostbite, but I don't see any blackened skin on her feet at this point. I am going to go ahead and do a soak in an epsom salt solution today. Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

4. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    I'm having proble with frost bite on one of my little girls that stayed out at night 3 nights in a row. If it looks like a blister don't pop it if you think it could be frost bite. My blacken skin didn't show up till after. Mine is an ee so darker legs already. It looks like how mine did a day or so after I brought her in. That's when the blisters started forming. I messed up and popped the blister before finding out I shouldn't have.

If you have a sick bay bring her in and let her stay inside for awhile. The site I was on before which I cant find now said frostbite takes 4-6 weeks. This is what I was using to read up on it. http://voices.yahoo.com/how-treat-chickens-suffering-frostbite-5294027.html?cat=53

5. arpacker

arpacker New Egg

Aug 23, 2012
    Thank you SO much! That link helped me a LOT! I did not pop the blister, but it looked like it had already burst on its own. I will continue with soaking and applying neosporin. Hopefully she won't lose part of her foot. I'll be watching her closely! Thanks again!

6. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by