foot turning green and slightly swollen!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedRhode, Jan 2, 2014.

1. RedRhode

RedRhode New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Too days ago she was peking at her foot and I checked it, but there was nothing there. the next day she started limping slightly ,but still nothing. today its slightly green!!!! I'm really worried, her other foot is bad because something attacked her middle toe, so I really don't want her other foot too get messed up too. will post picture as soon as I catch her.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Are you having cold temperatures where you live? Could she have frostbitten feet? The picture will be helpful.

3. RedRhode

RedRhode New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. RedRhode

RedRhode New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Im in California but the weather at night has gotten cold around the 40's and 30's

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look at the bottom of the footpad for any swelling or black dot on the foot that might be bumblefoot. The foot does look a little green, kind of like an easter egger's leg. I'm not sure what it is, but I would be careful about frostbite, and raise up any water pans high so sh doesn't step into cold water.

6. RedRhode

RedRhode New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    thank you, she's not an easter egger, she is a 2 year old PR RhodeIsland red

if its bumble foot what do i do?Would warm water be good for feet?

7. RedRhode

RedRhode New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    looked at bumble foot pictures, she has no dots just swollen and limping, her toe is bent slightly could it be broken?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I suppose it could be broken. The green color may be bruising. You may want to have her rest it for awhile in a crate inside the coop with the others so she doesn't lose her place in the flock. Or just watch her for a few days.

9. RedRhode

RedRhode New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    she's sadly an only chicken with a cat for a boyfriend. She hates to be cooped up too so I guess I just have too keep an eye on her..

but thank you for all your help I really appreciate it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by