1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Foot with swelling & sore (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MomMommyMamma, May 17, 2011.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    This is the foot of our 1 yr old comet/RIR mix hen. She is the only hen that has seemed to battle scaly leg mites. We've done Vaseline, oil, and a linement which I can't recall the name of. We had 3 hens with this problem and the other two were rid of them. Goldie (this hen) has continued to have issues on & off and we treat her when she needs it. Today though, we found her with a swollen bump on the top of her foot between the toes with the bottom of the foot swollen and having this amber colored spot on it. The spot is hard and not easily flicked or plucked off (I didn't try further once I realized how firmly it was there). What are we dealing with? I washed her leg and put polysporin on it and we have her in a private cage now (solid floor) with clean wood shavings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Looks like an infection.......maybe bumblefoot. Look up bumblefoot here, and you'll find lots of info on it.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thank you! Hubby just happened to be at the store just now so he's getting all of the supplies. Sounds like we'll have a fun evening lol. Poor chicken!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It's not as difficult as you might think. Once you do it a few times...you'll be an expert at it! [​IMG]

6. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Poor Girl! Its def bumble foot! I'm hoping my girls dont get it, but if they do I hope I'll know what to do. Would you mind posting pics or video of the 'bumble foot surgery' just so the rest of us can learn from your experience!

Thanks so much!!

7. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:It's not as difficult as you might think. Once you do it a few times...you'll be an expert at it! [​IMG]

I'm not worried. I actually am a nurse, but B.K. (before kids lol!). Now I'm retired and work full time as mommy nurse so this will give me a nice opportunity to be animal nurse lol!

8. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Oh no! Definitely Bumble Foot. I always soak the foot with epsom salts and warm water, scrub it really good with iodine shampoo before I proceed to remove the plug! Just wanted to share that...hope it helps! Goodluck!

9. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Quote:ANY NEWS?

How did the Bumblefoot removal surgery go??

Hope all is well!!

10. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm not sure to be honest. We did get 3 pieces of pus out. If you have seen a kid lose a tooth, then I'd say each was about the size of a lost tooth. That's what they looked like lol. It seemed like surely there must be more, but after attempting to pull out more for an additional 1/2 hr after the last piece came out, we put on the antibiotic ointment and wrapped it up. I've been really fighting the temptation to remove the bandage today. I did make a cut on the top as well. Two of the pieces of pus came from the bottom and one from the top. I just hate to think we left some in. Does that mean I need to do it again? Poor hen. She was relatively calm considering, but towards the end she was starting to kick and pull her leg in. It honestly seemed like we were starting to pull at tissue that was supposed to be there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by