Foot with swollen mass - what do you call this? (Pic) and what can be done about it???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stangale, Dec 24, 2012.

1. stangale

stangale New Egg

Dec 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. jewel1

jewel1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. stangale

stangale New Egg

Dec 24, 2012
    Thanks for getting us up to speed on "Bumblefoot".
    Lovely.....

We'll have to bust out the razor blade once the Xmas festivities have calmed down.

Merry Christmas to all you chicken lovers! [​IMG]

5. stangale

stangale New Egg

Dec 24, 2012
    Thank you for your kind help with "Vanilla",
    We attempted to cut off the scab, go in and find "the kernal" as prescribed.
    But instead of finding puss/cheesy substance as described in the Bumblefoot thread, the mass is very thick-skinned and fibrous.
    Squeezing does very little as the mass is pretty dense.
    Went in with tweezers and patiently dug around for at least 15 minutes, but was rewarded with nothing but some blood.
    Amazing our hen fussed very little, and ran around like nothing had happened after having been bandaged up.

What does this thick-skinned fibrous phenomenon mean?

[​IMG]

6. jewel1

jewel1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Did you soak the foot first?

I'm not sure what that means, so I sent a PM to the bumblefoot expert, ruth and pointed her to this thread. Hopefully she'll be able to answer your question.

Minimally, I'd put Neosporin in the wound and wrap it up to keep it clean...

Julie

7. chickenbelle

chickenbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Vernon Parish, La
    I had to do the same for a couple of my birds before. I used the Gentian Violet you can find in the pharmacy. It is usually used on the tongue to kill thrush after antibiotics. It is a great antiseptic. I cleaned the foot out once, applied the gentian violet--and the birds healed within days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by