Foot Wound on 5 day-old Chick!

Sk8inChick(en)

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2011
I need some assitance here.

One of my chicks has two small wounds on her foot that are bleeding a little bit. They look like peck wounds, but I'm not positive.
I know she has to be separated, but I wondered if there is anything I should do to clean the wound. I've heard of using hydrogen peroxide, but I wanted to know if this is okay for young chicks.

Also, should I put neosporin on it and a band-aid? Is that okay to do?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
when i had some picking issues, i asked on here & looked at other posts. i ended up buying blu kote at tractor supply. problem solved. no further picking on what was bleeding & no infection. i haven't had to use it again, but it sure worked for me. it stains like crazy. the two buff orpingtons i put it on still have a remnant on their feathers weeks later.

5 days seems kind of young for pecking to start. Blu Kote or even iodine or betadine from CVS will work to treat wound. Does your chick feeder or anything have a sharp edge the chick could have gotten hurt on? .

5 days seems kind of young for pecking to start. Blu Kote or even iodine or betadine from CVS will work to treat wound. Does your chick feeder or anything have a sharp edge the chick could have gotten hurt on? .

I don't think so, but we did have them out playing for a few minutes, so it's possible she got her foot caught on something. It sure looks like a peck wound to me, though. I've seen one of the chicks pecking at the one that has the wound, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. I feel so bad, though, because we separated them and the one is carrying on pathetically.

I cleaned the wound with Betadine and right now, all seems to be well, other than the fussing.

Thank you for your advice in my chicken emergency! LOL

However ther wound happened - If the wound has any red or blood visible the other chicks/chickens will pick at it. You could probably put them back together If you can cover the wound well enough so other chicks don't see it as red or bleeding. Just keep a close watch on things. The fun of chickens lol

Try to let the hurt chick interact with the others as much as possible with reasonable safety. If it is separate even a couple days, the others may treat it as a strange, not-very-welcome newcomer when it rejoins them.
If you have a way to keep it in a divided-off part of the brooder, where the chicks can still see each other, that would be good. You could also see if one or two of your gentlest chicks could live stay peaceably in with the hurt chick. Or maybe put the hurt chick in with the others a few minutes now & then, while keeping a watch over it to stop any pecking.
Best wishes with your little guy! It sounds like you are keeping a very good eye out for your chicks' well-being.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom