1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For a brooder what kind of bedding do you use?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenKid11, Jan 26, 2013.

1. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    I am getting my chicks really soon and I was wondering what kind of bedding you like to use in the brooder?

2. skeeter4488

skeeter4488 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Delaware
    My Coop
    I used pine shavings that I bought at tractor supply. I bought the finely shaved bag. there was also a large shavings bag. Just whatever you do, do not use cedar shavings. But anything could work. You just want something that will absorb their excretions and allow them some softness. I'm sure pet stores sell pine shavings also.
    [​IMG]

3. ChickenKid11

ChickenKid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Thanks so much! I was just wondering because I used Paper towels last time and it didn't work to well...

4. skeeter4488

skeeter4488 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Delaware
    My Coop
    Yeah I would think paper towels would absorb their mess, but it wouldn't dry out fast enough. Plus, some kind of loose material works way better than just a solid piece of cloth or something. As they move around, they can move that loose material over top of their poop and help to dry it out faster.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The paper bedding they sell at pet stores for hamsters, rats, ect works well, but they cost alot more than the shavings. I use the shavings as well. Its alot easier to just turn them every once in a while or let the chicks scratch them up. Good luck!

6. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I use pine shavings as well, but cover them with paper towels the first few days - until they learn what food is. They will still try to eat a few shavings once you remove the towels but I've never had any eat enough to cause any problems. I tried sand one year but it's very heavy - anyway, the shavings work the best for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by