1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For all GOOD teachers!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by debilorrah, Sep 9, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am serious - good stories ONLY. Any teacher bashing I will ask to have this closed.

I saw a commerical tonight that reminded me that the only reason my son take education seriously is because of his 6th grade teacher. Brandon was failing, and failing miserably when this teacher got a hold of him. This man taught my son how to earn his rewards. If he failed he wouldn't get invited into the Gentlemen's Club, which included a pool party at this teachers house. My son wanted that so badly!!!! He listened, he did his work, he participated in class, and he got his reward. I credit this techer with turning my son around.

Tell me your good teacher stories!!!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Mr Trysla, my 9th grade English teacher was a grumpy old man who was irritating as all get out.
    All he did was nag me to read the classics, Shakespeare, history.

I thank him every time I try a new genre in reading. Everytime I get interested in something new. Everytime I look at my copy of The Scarlet Letter, I think of him. He encouraged me to read a variety because it would broaden my mind.

I started out my freshman year thinking this man was a loser, but by the end of the first semester, he was my hero.

When I was about 30, I saw him in the grocery store where I worked, shopping with his wife and I went to him, thanked him and hugged him.

A few months later, his wife came in and told me that he passed away and even though he had Alzheimer's he kept asking about the lady who hugged him at the store.

Bless you Mr Trysla.

3. debilorrah

Quote:BUWAAAA!!! [​IMG] There are certain teachers that just TOUCh us. Mine was Mr. O, the history teacher. He LOVED history and that love washed on us in his class. To this day, I love British history because of him!

4. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I took a British Lit class in my junior year and all we did was talk about British History. The teacher was easily distracted. She spent time in Kenya and England teaching, so we always asked for a story. [​IMG]
    We watched movies like The Lion in Winter, A Man for All Seasons, Anne of a Thousand Days, My Fair Lady, and the PBS series The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

We got so little discussion on British Lit done and had so much fun, I took the class again in my senior year. [​IMG]

I literally had a closet full of boxes of British biographies, histories, etc. I passed most of them onto another history buff to enjoy.

But I remember her love for British history and England. What an inspiration!

5. debilorrah

I am in my adult life obsessed with British history. I cannot get enough of it!!!! People test my knowledge too. They never win!

6. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My mom used to get me to recite the kings and queens of England starting with William the Conqueror to Elizabeth II in order. [​IMG]
    It always impressed her friends who would have no idea if I was right or not. (I was)

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    What a wonderful thread. [​IMG] I have a 6th grader, a 4th grader, and a 3rd grades so we have been through a lot of teachers so far. There has only been one I would call a 'bad' teacher and all the rest I would classify as great. All are so different. Some strict, some lenient. Every one has cared about my children, cared about their mind. We have had teachers from Anchorage Alaska to hicktown Arkansas. I don't think we are just lucky. I think the vast majority of teachers are as good as the parent/student part of the team will allow.

8. anngili

anngili Chillin' With My Peeps

I had several:
    My 2nd grade teacher who recognized that I could read well ahead of anybody in the class but couldn't see worth a hoot. (Mom taught me to read before nursery school but never clicked to my not being able to see; her vision was lots worse!) She got my parents to get me glasses and then split the class into reading groups, I think mainly to let me pass on my love of reading with a student who wasn't doing too well.
    My 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Langston, who gave me a special pass to go to the library anytime I got bored after completing all classwork.
    My 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Davis, who gave me a pass to read every book in the library as long as I returned them within a week. That was big news because you were only allowed to read books approved for your grade level - BORING!
    My 6th grade teacher, Mrs. MacKenzie, who nominated me for a special summer school where I took an embryology class, and who then had me (with lots of help from her and the principal) teach the other students in my class the same embryology class I took in the summer. She even let me take home a chick and 2 ducklings after the class was over!
    And most of all, Mrs. Smith, the principal who hired & kept all the wonderful teachers, who knew every student by name and cared about them all, and who told the librarian that I was allowed to read any and all books in the library and to let her know when I'd read them all. When I had, she gave me books to read and when one teacher gave me a really bad time, brought me to her office until the storm had blown over and always supported my desire to learn.
    I was incredibly blessed!!!!

9. Chicks & Turks

Chicks & Turks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I saw a show like that! It's talking about the brains behind Kelly Clarkson and Lebron James, not saying they are dumb or anything. The girl was talking about how her teacher was how she got to where she is. In a young grade the teacher kept writing notes, even though she was doing good. When her mother asked why, the teacher said, yes she was doing decent, but she knew that she could do much better and wanted her to reach full potential. I thought that was sweet.

10. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    My daughter was struggling in 12 grade.She made some bad choices and fell behind, and stopped going to school without my knowledge. Her Spanish teacher went to HER WORK at closing time (10 PM) and convinced her to let her follow her home. She came into my house and got my daughter to tell me what had been going on- all the while leaving her poor husband snoozing in the car in my driveway. She probably saved my daughter's life that night. She went WAY above and beyond the call of duty and we will never forget her. I wrote a letter to the principal and superintendent about her selfless acts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by