For all of you buried in snow

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PotterWatch, Dec 12, 2010.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I thought I would share some pictures from around my house today. Maybe it will help you think warm thoughts!

One of my Delawares having a snack:

[​IMG]

A young Ancona enjoying some free-ranging time:

[​IMG]

My young pullets and my old-molting RIR hanging out in the run:

[​IMG]

The lifecycle of the Gulf Fritillary. We have passion flower vines all over and always have the whole life cycle of this particular butterfly at any given time.

I watched a butterfly lay this egg:

[​IMG]

Which will turn into a caterpillar like this one:

[​IMG]

It will make a chrysalis like this:

[​IMG]

From which will hatch a butterfly like this:

[​IMG]

My beehive was buzzing with activity:

[​IMG]

Finally, some pictures of the young plants in my back garden.

Broccoli:

[​IMG]

Brussels Sprouts:

[​IMG]

Onion:

[​IMG]

Garlic:

[​IMG]

There now, didn't that warm your day? I am jealous of the snow that you all have (well, maybe not all the snow), so I thought I would spread the feeling [​IMG] .

[​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    California Dreamin...... on a winter's day.......

GREAT pics, thank you!

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Beautiful pictures!
    It just ain't right. I live in Mississippi and it's even snowing here! I think it's in the state constitution that's it's only supposed to snow about once every 5 years and then only on a work day, never on the weekend. [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, I wish we were getting some snow here. As nice as it may sound, it is truly depressing to have weather in the high 70's and low 80's in the middle of December. I miss living somewhere that has real seasons. Here we our seasons are summer, smog, summer, and slightly cooler than summer. It did get cool enough for about a week to kill about half of our grass. Isn't that nice? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Most times espically in the winter I would love having 70's Im not a big fan of the heat either. If it could stay 70 all year I would be happy, at least for a little while [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:X2

I grew up near Chicago, moved south at around 27 to get away from ice and sleet and frozen feet. I'm not sure which is worse, these summers or ice and sleet.

7. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    [​IMG] I wanna go to California!!!!!

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Then we turned around and heated up to something nasty again! I went from scraping ice off my windshield in the morning (high desert, so a little higher elevation to you) to using the a/c in the car again! [​IMG]

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Then we turned around and heated up to something nasty again! I went from scraping ice off my windshield in the morning (high desert, so a little higher elevation to you) to using the a/c in the car again! [​IMG]

I know! I was so happy for a while there. I was wearing a sweatshirt during the day, running my dogs in the middle of the day, just generally enjoying the nice cool weather. Then the heat comes back and I actually had to wear a sleeveless top today!

10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    We don't have snow here. We got hit by "the pineapple express" and have had tons of rain and flood warnings for the rivers. The forecast has nothing but rain for at least the next 10 days. So, I really loved those pictures as well. Sunshine, gardens and butterflies, oh my!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by