For All of You Waiting, It is Worth It!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigoakhunter, Aug 24, 2010.

1. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Lot's of you are awaiting that first egg! Or for the Flock to start laying. Well here is what happened with my young flock in the last week:

Monday - first egg, a fart egg in the floor of coop
    Tuesday - another fart egg on coop floor
    Wednesday - nothing
    Thursday - nothing
    Friday - a double yoker in the nest box
    Saturday - 2 eggs in nestbox
    Sunday - 5 eggs , 4 in nestbox, one on coop floor
    Monday- 6 eggs, all in nestboxes
    Tuesday - 8 eggs, 7 in nestboxes, one on coop floor

This is from a group of 12 Production reds/Gold Comets and 3 Welsummer hens. I do not believe any of the welsummer hens are laying yet, based on behavior, observation, color of comb and egg coloration. They were 19 weeks last Monday when the first one layed. Now at 20 weeks they are coming into it.

So for all of you waiting, belive me it is wonderful! Have patience....

Dave:)

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] for Tuesday!!! Good girls! It IS exciting when you finally start getting those eggs [​IMG]

3. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Congrats! It's so awesome. We have presents everyday now and still get them when they're warm. Yeah!

4. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    [​IMG]

5. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That's great to hear!! I'm still waiting on getting my fist bird, [​IMG] and I can only imagine on how hard it is to wait for that first egg! Thanks for sharing your great experience!

6. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a fart egg? I had one that looked like a torpedo, but the rest just look like eggs. Love my Comets! Congratulations!

7. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Finn's Mom :

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a fart egg? I had one that looked like a torpedo, but the rest just look like eggs. Love my Comets! Congratulations!

A fart egg is the term for an egg that looks like it was a mistake, about half the size of a pullet egg that first time layers lay at first. Looks like a regular egg but is about the size of my thumb from knuckle joint to nail end.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by