For All of You Who Are Losing Chickens to the HEAT....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LittleChickenRacingTeam, Jun 9, 2008.

1. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    This is the best $100 I ever spent.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...4443271826&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

It's a fan that can go outdoors & hook to a hose to create a fine COOLING mist that effectively can lower the outdoor temp by up to 50 degrees.

Will cover 950 square feet since it oscillates.

My chickens prefer to stay indoors with the air conditioning in this heat wave, but at least I know when they are outdoors, they are not uncomfortable or risking HEATSTROKE.

I can't say enough about how effective this product is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I sell bigger versions of the same design to auto repair shops and I can tell you, these things work great!

Great posting LCRT.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'm looking into cooling fans now............... I have a broken window, and its been covered all winter - I'm going to uncover it and put a fan in the window...........

thanks LCRT

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have a summer place in algonquin park in cannada and I have always though cannadian tire should come to the US it has everything at a resonable price and its just great !!!!!!!!!!!

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Sounds like a nice fan but the color in that picture hurts my eyes LCRT [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Great idea! I live in the U.S. so that product is not available to me, BUT it gave me the idea to try and find something like it here in the good 'ole USA! Here's a link to a site that has DIY kits to make a mister for a fan. The prices are very reasonable. I'm ordering one tomorrow, unless my crafty DH can come up with one of his own. If so, I will post direction on how to do it.
    http://www.mistcooling.com/fanmistkitlp.htm

Thanks again for this idea! I know my chickens will very much appreciate it!!! [​IMG]

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    @ LCRT > that link did not connect me to the product you are talking about but kept asking for my zipcode and refused to link me further. Can you please provide another link showing that (or a similar ) product?

@Gumpsgirl...since I could not view the fan and have no idea of how it looks , I douldnt make much out of the page you sent showing the those items you need to DIY... do you have a link showing the DIY version?

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ditto the previous post. Thanks for any other info you can provide!

I bought a misting hose and the spray is not much finer than a sprinkler so everything gets super soaked and then just more humid.....that, and the feathereds don't like it!

JJ

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Basically it is a primitive version of a swamp cooler, which is pretty ubiquitous already in all of the areas of the U.S. *where it works well*. Which is mostly, the desert southwest [​IMG] You have to have dry enough air that the mist evaporates. Otherwise they actually just make things worse - your air is just as hot only now it's 100% humidity instead of 70%.

They do not work very well in areas with high humidity during heatwaves, and way far south e.g. the Gulf Coast I am not sure they exist at all.

Pat

10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Why couldn't you take a cool mist humidifier and set it in front of a fan?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by