For all those polish loving people out there

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smom1976, Nov 3, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Ok so I have 5 polish out of my 15 birds.. I think that they are nice.. One recently got quite the attitude...

a few questions that I have are these... (just different than the other birds)

Do they lay smaller eggs than the others their bodies are a bit smaller than others like my cochins and such.

Are they slower developers than the others .. My black sex links and one of my cochins are already laying..

Do they get spurs? They seem to be developing spurs... I have a picture.. They all have female tails.. and are developing the same.. that would be 5 roosters out of all of them.. (the rest are def.. female) They were vent sexed as chicks..

Are they not as smart as the others.. I have one in particular that when I am in the swinging chair the movment of my feet back and forth makes her bow up and try to attack peck my feet.. I think it is funny.. one other sometimes joins her but this is the one that has quite the attitude..

any helpfull info would be great thanks [​IMG]

2. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    My Polish roo has both spurs AND an attitude to boot. We've had some long heart-to-heart talks about my dominance. I love him, though!!

3. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    these are all supposed to be pullets..

4. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    DOH! Sorry![​IMG]

5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:They do seem to be a little challenged in the intelligence department, might be due to the crest feathers restricting their vision. Male and female young stock here, will have small spur bumps. Some hens over three years old will grow an impressive set of spurs.

I have one hen called Attila the hen, she was raised with 5 other male chicks and acts like a rooster. She will raise what she thinks are hackle feathers and make all the actions of trying to attack.

I live in a cold climate, and my late summer chicks do not lay eggs until the following March. But March to October is their normal cycle here. Eggs are medium size and white.(that's for standard size Polish) Some of them lay more torpedo shaped eggs and it is sometimes difficult to tell which end is the small end.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  6. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    torpedo.. [​IMG] I could only imagine.. LOL

She will raise what she has thinks are hackle feathers and make all the actions of trying to attack

YUP! thats it.

and get this ... the my little attila... has had her head feathers clipped.. I have clipped most of them..​

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Torpedo egg. Both ends are almost the same, instead of one rounder and the other end more pointed. That's suppose to be a quarter below it, but the flash took all the detail out. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My white crested blacks lay these. The blues lay a more normal shaped egg that is slightly tan colored.

8. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    that is one oval egg.. I imagined something a little more thinner .... not too odd shaped.. but still odd enough.

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My leghorn pullets lays eggs like those. Their almost complete circles!

10. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    you can sex a polish by the shape of their crest round is pullet and spikey is cockerel
    ex spike
    [​IMG]
    Mrs spike
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by