for all you smart incubating people...what went wrong here?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Titania, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    Hi, everyone. Thanks for looking. I love hearing everyone's thougths...so many smart people out here.

I put 14 ameraucana eggs and 11 buckeye eggs in to incubate. I turned them in my brinsea eco and then put them in lockdown in my hovabator. 12 of the 14 ameraucanas hatched. NONE of my buckeyes hatched! I've had many good hatches & can't believe I didn't even get one. All of my eggs are shipped eggs. I even get chicks from shipped true araucana hatches so it blows my mind I had troubles with buckeye eggs.

I broke open my buckeye eggs. 8 made it into lockdown. 5 of the eggs were fully formed (eyes, feathers, beaks, feet) with egg yolk sacs not yet absorbed. So, does that mean they died around day 17-18? What could have happened? I know I could have done something wrong, but wouldn't ALL of the eggs have died & not just my buckeyes? I did get 12 of 14 ameraucanas out of the same hatch. I'd love any ideas as to what may have happened so I can make sure it doesn't happen again. And, if you were me, would you contact the breeder?

again, thanks for looking at my question!

2. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Did your humidity dip on day 17-18 right before lock down? And was your humidity high enough in the hovabator? I have a brinsea eco20 and the temp holds pretty steady. I dunno what else.. maybe someone else can add to this...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  3. Titania

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    I've been thinking about humidity & temp. But, if they were off wouldn't my ameraucanas have had a bad hatch too? they had an 85% hatch rate in the same incubator, set at the same day, etc. thanks for the thoughts...

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

You have 2 threads on this? Didn't I just read this on another thread?

Anyway, check this out and see if it helps....

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

5. Titania

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    kathyinmo, yes, thanks. I started the one thread with the question about buckeye eggs. Then, I just wanted to ask about what the causes for day 17-18 deaths would be. But, you're right...it is really the same question asked two different ways. sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by