For anyone interested *GRAPHIC EGGTOPSY PICS* One robin egg died...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NaomiSarah, Jul 11, 2010.

1. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Well I now have only one viable robin egg. I was expecting this, and if the last one makes it I'll be thrilled but surprised... anywho, I thought some of you might be curious as I was to see this...

WARNING GRAPHIC! Eggtopsy of the deceased robin!

[​IMG]

There was plenty of yolk still there and the cause of death was clearly a bleed of some sort, right around the chick's chest/stomach (so small) Anyone have an opinion on how many days this had til hatch?

*E* Just an FYI, Robins take 12-16 days to hatch.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
  3. NaomiSarah

Jul 4, 2010
    Oh Im sorry, does it need to be moved? Didn`t realize there was a separate section for this.

4. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Oh, I'm not trying to imply anything like that. I'm not a moderator. I came across the other thread a few days ago and posted an eggtopsy photo there and thought your photo and story would be a great addition to that thread. There's no need to feel obligated to do anything. Have a peek and see what you think.

Dan

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Oof, sorry to hear you lost this one. My fingers are doubly crossed for the solo chick!

And Dan's just pointing you in the direction of a thread to post to, not a whole new section [​IMG] We've created a thread to show people what to look for when doing eggtopsies, because sometimes people crack open an egg and they don't know what they're looking at... so cracking it open does no good. If you don't want to make a post to the thread, may I have permission to add this picture to the first post for others' information?

As for your egg, if it was a chicken I would call before day 10 and after Day 5. Day 5 they are a little embryo spot and a heartbeat, day 11 they have started to grow feathers (pictures of both stages on the thread dan posted). I'm not sure how long a robin hatch cycle is, but I would say this guy was less than halfway there.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  6. NaomiSarah

Jul 4, 2010
    Thanks guys, sure I'll post it over there too, thanks for pointing me that way, I appreciate it [​IMG] Yes, I'm cheering pretty hard for my last little chick.

As for the dates, the feet and wings were very clear to see, but no feathers yet, tho robins are much balder than chickens at hatch. I agree that the chick was about half way there, that would be my closest guess... maybe day 8?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by