For anyone who has, or has had a Brower top hatch-?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BrahmaMama, Feb 18, 2008.

1. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I am borrowing an incubator from a friend, and have 9 eggs (originally 16, 7 were clear) that should be due to hatch on Saturday, if all goes well. I'm not too sure on my humidity at the beginning, and our corn stove went out one night, and temps dropped down to about 95, so this is my "test hatch" I guess, and I will be doing some things differently next time. My question is, how on earth do you shut off the turner? You would think I would have asked this earlier, huh [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can't get ahold of the gal I am borrowing it from, and when her husband dropped it off, he showed my husband and I somewhat how to set it up- I don't think he actually messed with it as much as her, lol! There is this round metal strip thing, that is in two pieces (I believe it's broken, as they aren't even) and some of the tiny little bearings in the base are missing, so I *hope* it's been turning the way it is supposed to! Each time I check them, they are in different positions...

As far as that many eggs clear, I am wondering if I need to trim some feathers on my roo, and some of the Brahma girls...I didn't think they were that bad, but it sure seems like alot of infertiles.

Thanks for reading!

2. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Bump, anyone? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    pick up the drom off the arm. Thats how you stop the turner. The metal strip can be popped back on.

forgot to mention that the metal strip is supoosed to be in 2 pieces

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  4. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Ok, so I was looking under it, I think by the arm you must mean part of the base that the actual bator sits on-kind of like an attachment/hook type thing...I was checking it out last night, and was wondering if it had something to do with that. I want to wait until my husband gets home, to help lift it straight up and evenly though-I can just see what my klutzy self would do [​IMG]

Thank you for your response [​IMG]

Ok, that makes sense then (metal strip) I suppose it wouldn't sit well if it was all one [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm learning [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    your welcome. I lost both bars on my top hatch and hope that it will still turn. the little metal bearings all fell out and into the cracks of the floor so I just have the big bearings left and it still turned. hopefully I can find thos metal strips.

yeah its got the circular piece on it to fit the incubators slot

6. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I hope you can find them too; I can see those little bearings being a pain, I didn't realize they came out that easy. I don't know if I will end up buying this type of bator or not, I have time to decide, I guess [​IMG]

7. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I had it for over a year before I finally got to use it. I popped in the plug in december and got it ready. I had 15 eggs come in. I was nervous using this as it was my first time using this incubator. december 3rd I got 11 out of 15 eggs to hatch. it would technically be 99% hatch rate because it was 12+. I was very happy with that hatch rate for shipped eggs. At least you get to give it a test run before buying. I just bought it for the sake of it. [​IMG]. I hope you get a good hatch rate out of it

8. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Wow, that sounds like a great hatch! Thank you [​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Woo hoo! Mine came today... [​IMG]

Hope I can add questions to this thread later? I'm sure I will have some...

10. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Go ahead and ask away [​IMG] I'm sure I can soak up more info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by