For anyone who's ever been locked in or out of the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pinguin, Aug 25, 2010.

1. pinguin

pinguin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    Happens all too often, here. One of us will latch the coop door from the inside while cleaning or gathering eggs. Or once in a while get locked in. I finally decided to make a latchstring latch, the old fashioned kind that used to be common in cabins. No cost other than a couple of screws. The latch is a piece of molding off an ancient piece of furniture. The catch is a bracket off a long-ago discarded under cabinet coffee maker & the guard, a scrap of 2x4.

View from the outside & inside. The string, tied to a nut, runs through the eye (hook & eye closure) on the outside of the coop. (Yes, I know hook & eyes aren't raccoon safe, but the door must be pulled tightly closed to be able to lift the hook. It's hard enough for older humans; children can't manage it.)

From the outside, pull the nut, raise the latch & unhook the hook. From the inside, lift the latch; the guard prevents the latch from being raised to high or lowered & possibly breaking the string. You can't see the string in the picture, but it's attached to the latch just to the right of the guard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    seems a good idea but cannot see any of string mechanism in pics. Could u maybe do a line drawing?

3. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Does it really happen that often?!?!?

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:It happened to me, once. I rigged a string to our run latch too.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I did a similiar thing to my garden shed. 2 doors and 3 windows, but if you got locked in you might be there for the duration.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by