? for BCM hatchers/breeders

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gvntofly05, Dec 30, 2009.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I am getting 12+ BCM eggs. They should be here today or tomorrow. I have read somewhere a while back that the humidity needs to be higher for these. Is this true? Is there anything I need to know before I set them in the incubator to insure a better hatch? I'm trying not to set my sights too high and am hoping for at least a 50% hatch. Any info you have on hatching BCM will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks

2. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    If you are getting them in the mail, let them "rest" for 24 hours. I have had my best luck keeping the humidity in the 35-45% range during the first 19 days and then bumping it up to 65-70% the remaining days. Once they have pipped I give them 24 hours to get out. If they are out in 24 hours, I get them out. I know a lot of people are against helping, but I havent had any problems after the 24 hour wait. Just go slow and make sure there is no bleeding. I keep a blood stopping powder handy in case. Havent had to use it, but just in case. By the way, every chick I have helped out has been fine. Havent lost or had any deformaties yet.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  4. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Thanks Kathy!

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG] You are welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by