1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FOR EGGS CAN WE HELP OR NOT HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedJungleFowl, Dec 1, 2012.

1. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    so if a egg was hatching can you help breake it to make its less hard for the chicks

2. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    a little if you want like when they first make a dent i chip it off for them and their fine just don't over due it if you help the chick to much it is certain do die because its not strong enough, they have to break through the shell themselves if they are going to live

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    There's a ton of different opinions on assisting hatch with stuck chicks, but "helping just to be helping" is crazy. It doesn't help the chick and does more harm than good. Not to mention you would be ruining the temperature and humidity conditions that are vital for hatching. Sit on your hands and no touchy until there's no more eggs pipped.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can help, if you really need to. This thread explains the process very well:

If intervention is necessary as a last resort

But it is risky and you need to be sure you are stepping in at the right time, not when you get impatient because it's been 3 hours and nothing happening! Chicks can take up to 24 hours to hatch from pip to finish and I was so tempted sometimes after hours passed and nothing happening, only to come back later and find the little one hatched out fine.

5. collisinana

collisinana Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah, Helping a chick along can injure the chick and rip its skin. In my opinion its supposed to hatch slowly for a reason. The one duckling I helped ended up dying later on because i just wasn't strong enough and wasn't really meant to be in way :(

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2 do your homework first! Know WHEN you should and EXACTLY HOW and it takes time time time.... NO RUSHING!!

7. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    i geuss i just let nature take its way cause evn if it dies i still got alot of egg left right

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    depends on how much those eggs cost! LOL

9. collisinana

collisinana Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Haha, I got 16 duck eggs and two hatched and only one completely healthy

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh NO do you know what went wrong? shipped in bad air cells?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by