For eggs will Buff Orpington Bantams be okay?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by orcasislandchickens, Jul 9, 2008.

1. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I am new to this whole backyard chicken concept. I have to admit so far- well lets just say my efforts seem to be achieving mixed results. I have a nice, new, very pretty, version of the playhouse coop and want a few hens for eggs. Everything here is a pet.

One person that promised me hens, unloaded roo's on me instead, and I didn't know, so I had to re-home them. Spring has gone summer's here and I am still a long way from getting any eggs. Since I am starting over I want this next group of chickens to work.

I have finally found some sexed buff orpington pullets, but I have found them in both standard and bantam sizes.

It is only me and my mostly non egg eating spouse so I do not need a lot of eggs. Six ordinary ones a week would be plenty . The coop is small so 4 or 5 bantams would probably fit better and be happier than 3 standards ? Are the buff orpington bantams realy like the larger birds with the nice disposition and lack of interest/ability in flying? Small eggs would be ok if the bantams would lay with reasonable frequency and through the winter (winter laying being an advertised plus for the bigger ones here in the cold rainy PNW). Anyone raise these or know more about them from personal experience? (I have read all the online blurbs from the hatcheries). Does anyone have laying age pullets/ very young hens ?

Thanks for any help, links, stories, insights or sugestions that you can give me.

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Will you be using the eggs for baking? I read an article about eggs (recipes and info) and the author said that because bantam eggs have a higher yolk to white ratio, they can be tricky to bake with and can ruin some recipes.

3. orcasislandchickens

Jul 9, 2008
    Thanks, that is a good point. I remember reading that also now that you mention it. Yes I was planning to "save them up" and use them for baking. I could probably work it out with practice, but it is sure something to consider.

The "cute factor " of these little roundish chickens is definitely a factor. I find them very appealing at least in pictures but I do want them for eggs even if it is just for my own use. I'm not going to show or breed them or anything...

4. peastickcowboy

peastickcowboy New Egg

Oct 20, 2008
    Did you get the bantams and the answers to your questions? If you did, how are they laying?

5. orcasislandchickens

Jul 9, 2008
    I got the buff orpington bantams and their disposition is lovely. No eggs yet. I am currently looking for a couple more pullets.

6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Pictures Please!!!I love my standard Sunshine Sisters and their roo but boy do they eat a load...

7. orcasislandchickens

Jul 9, 2008
    They look just like the big ones. Mine are still youngsters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    OH I would love to have some Buff Orpington bantam pullets! Just wanting them for house chicken pets.

Eggs would be fine, but wouldn't need them for a couple of months, though. No incubator at the present. Hoping "Santa" brings me one ;-)

9. orcasislandchickens

Jul 9, 2008
    Yes I know, they are realy nice pet birds. There is now a new orpington club. I'm going to join. It's like 10.00. Then I will have some local breeders and fanciers email. I got these from Cackle Hatchery (sold out till january). But if you look hard enough you can also get them in other colours. Black, blue, white.....

10. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I decided to go with Bantam Orps rather than the full-sized - mostly to save room so I could have more chickens.

[​IMG]
    lovely gals!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by