For Faverolle afficianados

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lobzi, May 11, 2010.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

My beautiful Roo Boy died recently but luckily he left behind one baby (for sure) and another one perhaps. Here are their pictures. The little gray one (three weeks old) has a muff and fifth toe so I know it is a Roo baby. The little cream one (one week old) has the coloring of a Faverolle chick but no fifth toe or apparent muff. They are both have non-Faverolle mothers.

So my questions are 1) Has anyone ever seen a gray Faverolle baby chick that grows up to look like the characteristic Faverolle? and 2) Does the little cream one look at all like it could be part Faverolle and if not, what does it look to be?

Thanks for your opinions. I realize it will be some time before I know for sure. Its fun to see what others have to say.
  2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I'm completely clueless on the first chick.

The second chick...definitely has Fav qualities. Fav chicks are yellow at hatch...and based on it's wing feathers....I'd say GIRL! [​IMG]
  3. Lobzi

Here is a pic of Roo's first son.

He turned out to look exactly like dad. He was a beaut. I had to get rid of him because I had too many roo. Man I wish I had him back now.
    This new baby looks a lot like the first one but a bit lighter.
    I sure hope the little cream one is a female. I can keep her for sure. I guess the fifth toe and muff just arent going to show in her.

Here is a pic of my Roo Boy who passed just a week ago; he is dad to both grays for sure.

and Mama to both babies
  4. Lobzi

Any other opinions? I sure like get feedback from all you folks who know a lot more about chickens than I do. I learn so much from ya'll![​IMG]
  5. Lobzi

I finally found pics of how Roo's little gray baby developed and finally looked so much like him. I know the gray color doesnt look at all like a Faverolle but perhaps it is due to his Mama being so gray and dad being a Blue Salmon Faverolle.
    You can see how the color is starting to appear on the wing

These are pics of Dad and sons to show how much they resembled each other
    Sorry this last one is so blurry

I was totally surprised to see that little gray guy ending up looking so much like his dad. I would not have known it was a Faverolle had I not noticed the fifth toe and then the muff developing.
  6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    wow, i think if you held onto him and tried getting some more girls for him that you might be able to work with a different color fav!

your second chick, do you have any close up pics of the leg feathers? they look like there are some dark feathers in there but the wing feathers can be deceiving for the first couple of weeks.
  7. Lobzi

Here is a pic of the cream colored "Faverolle" showing the leg feathering a little clearer. Does that offer any clues?

Thanks for all those who are discussing this with me. I thought others might find it interesting, especially the gray baby Faverolle.
  8. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i wish i could help you more on this. the last pair of fav chicks i hatch confused me for the first month! the only difference i noticed between them was the size and the tail feathers coming in.
    male is in the front on the left and his sister is the one on the right. they both had close coloring for their first few weeks.
    the boy ended up being a blue salmon and his sister is such a light color i'm not sure if she may be considered blue salmon too!
  9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Not sure about the chick it looks female to me so far. That grey chick looks blue to me. Wish I could show you my BBS Faverolles buy they aren't here yet hopefully next week that grey boy reminds me of a blue faverolles. Sorry you lost your boy!
  10. Lobzi

My heart breaks for Roo. I miss him so and it was a terrible 3 days and nights of suffering her went through. He died in my arms.

Im just so grateful that, at the very least, I have some of his genetics to carry on. His first son was a beaut but started fighting so I had to get rid of him.
    Roo was never aggressive. Im guess that the aggression comes from the mom side. She is a wild hen, caught for me by a woman who owns a horse stable and has wild chickens living on and around it.

By all means, please do show pics of your new babies to me when you get them.
    Im still pretty sure mine is a female. It's her mannerisms compared to her only sibling, the little dark one I photographed her with. Honestly, I didnt really seek a sex determination but more just someone to declare she is part Faverolle. As I mentioned, she doesnt have that characteristic 5th toe nor an obvious muff developing. It was that coloration that made me think, "Gee this could be Roo's baby!"
    The gray one, there is no doubt as it does have that 5th toe and muff developing. I showed his pic mainly because I was curious if anyone else had ever seen a gray Faverolle chick. I could not find any similar pics on the Internet.

Thanks again to all for discussing this with me. I welcome more comments as always learn so much from all of you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by