For future reference

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiemom08, May 5, 2017.

1. chickiemom08

chickiemom08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2017
    Its too late to help the chick in particular, so I am asking for future reference.

One of the chicks we bought from the feed store would poop and the poop would get stuck in his feathers and continue to stick to his butt. We would clean him several times a day. My stepson, who thinks he is a chicken expert, said it was because of the breed and the feathers around his butt. I told him all the chicks have feathers around their butt and it was not happening to them. I also noticed this chick wasn't particularly growing either. Then I was cleaning him when day and he was trying to poop when I noticed blood on his butt. We immediately seperated him from the others and he died a few days later.

Any idea what this was?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you looked up pasty butt?

3. chickiemom08

Apr 14, 2017
    I honestly had no clue what to even search for. We are new to having chickens and chicks.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Was the blood coming from the butt (irritated vent) or was it in the poop?
    What type of food and/or treats are you feeding?
    Do you provide chick grit if you are giving anything else besides chick starter?

Pasty butt is where the poop becomes stuck on the vent, essentially blocking the poop - if not cleared away, the blockage can cause the chick to die. Blood in the poop, can be an indication of Coccidiosis, but if your chick was suffering from pasty butt, then it could have been caused by a prolapse or some irritation to the intestines as well.

If you have any others that start exhibiting the same symptoms, then treating for Cocci would be the best thing to do. Treatment is with Corid which can be found at feed stores and online.

Here's some info on pasty butt to get you started
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/03/pasty-butt-in-chicks-causestreatment.html

5. chickiemom08

Apr 14, 2017
    It was coming from the butt. It was eating chick starter and I think the grit as well. But none of the other chicks are having problems like that.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Could have been from prolapse. Some chicks may have internal development problems and nothing can be done.

I'm sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by