For Genetics Experts---2 Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickanmanfromarkansas, May 22, 2010.

1. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    1) How many generations does it take to breed out feather legs?
    2) Would it be best to use a Dominique or Barred Plymouth Rock to create Barred Wyandottes?

Actually anyone that knows can answer. Appreciate any answers or comments at all.

Chickanmanfromarkansas
    Randy Wilson

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Feathered legs can be bred out rather quickly. It's a dominant trait, so all of the first generation of chicks will have feathers. But, in the second generation, you'll get 25% chicks with no feathers. If you select only chicks with no feathers on their legs as breeders, you should continue without feathered legs.

I'm not familiar enough with Dominiques to say - but you should choose whichever breed is more similar to Wyandottes in appearance.

3. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Jan 18, 2010
    Thanks TurkeyMountainChickens.

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I need a silkie with out feathered feet! They get soooooooooooooooo dirty!

5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Most feathered feet are by 2 dominant genes. So the chances would slim. But still can be bred out in 2 generations.

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Little feather stubs will be an ongoing battle for generations to come. You'll have to keep checking your birds for stubs. I've had them pop up on some of my aged Wys that aren't project bred birds.

7. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I been told you can eliminate most feathered offspring by the 3rd generation

8. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Shank feathering and stubs are the result of totally different & unrelated genes.

9. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Jan 18, 2010
    Sorry about being so long in getting back to this.
    The reason I asked this question about leg feathers is because I want to improve the size of my Easter Eggers. I thought Cochins would be the best to use in upgrading for size. The only other option would be Jersey Giants but they take too long in growing off.

Anyone eith an answer for the Barred Wyandotte question?

Chickanmanfromarkansas

10. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    chickenman have you done it yet? I just got some showgirls (im SO in love with them) but the feathered feet are soo weird to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by