For hatchery Easter Eggers... who has the best? (Limited list in post)

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
I know, I know, none of them are real Ameraucanas, but......

We're hoping y'all can share your experience with us. We've decided to restructure our little flock and order a few new chicks this spring. The feed stores order from:
1) Cackle
2) Mt. healthy
3)a combination of Murray McMurray, Welp, and Ridgeway (cannot choose though)

We're most concerned about the EE ("Ameraucana") chicks. Our current one has muffs and beard and lays a seafoam blue/green egg. We'd like to try to find a hatchery that produces more like her and less pink/brown/no muff birds.

Can anyone share their experience?

(The other bird I'd like to get as true to type as possible is a RIR.)

THANKS SO MUCH!

I have used Cackle in the past, loved them! We got EE from there. They just started laying, and it is the coldest here then it has been all winter, and it is snowing to boot. Anyway I digress. All ours have the beards and muffs, we have 7 girls - 5 are laying blue eggs, and 2 are laying pink. Pretty good odds in my opinion.

They also had our order 100% rights as far as sexing, and we had over 50 birds on our order. Which I believe that you will only want girls right?

As for RIR, I am not sure as we did not order ours from there, but instead got them from a local breeder, before we ever placed a hatchery order. But All our girls we got end of June all started laying in the middle of the winter, and have just kept on going!

If you want, I have pics of my ee's and of the eggs if you want to see them, pm me!

Randi

I have two EE's from Ideal (you didn't ask about em but oh well I'm gonna answer anyway). I'm not sure if both are laying or not - but I DID get a lovely green egg yesterday from one of them
wee.gif

Both have muff and beards, I really need to get pic's of the girls, one has a black beard and its so cute - she also has lovely bloomers
gig.gif

THey are 24 weeks old right now.

THe RIR I got from Ideal are really lovely, lots of personality a nice rich mahogany color with black in their tails and I think a little black on the wings - but you can only see that when they stretch em out. They're very big compared to my other hens...... (I have BO's, RIR, EE's and Leghorns)

We got our Chloe from the feed store who orders from Privett. She is beautiful and has the beard and muffs. She hasn't started laying yet (any day now, she was hatched late August) so I can't vouch for the egg color, but she is a beautiful bird!!

Edited to add we got all our birds via this feed store and several of our girls are beautiful and bordering on show quality. Our RIRs are very dark and one of our BRs has beautiful barring. Our lt. Brahma is stunning, and my blue cochin is really beautiful. Not to mention my GLW is from there and she is amazing (although evil).

Last edited:
I got my 5 EEs from Mt. Healthy; one was a roo. I have 2 that lay green eggs. All were extremely healthy. Here are some egg and chicken pics:
Sissy (green egger)
Sissy10-071.jpg

Maurice, the roo:
Maurice10-071.jpg

Maurice again:
Maurice10-072.jpg

And the shade of green that two of them lay:
dozengreens.jpg

I got mine from a farm & ranch store that gets their supply from Ideal. They all have pea combs, muffs and beards, only a couple have green legs the rest are slate grey. My girls aren't laying yet, so I can't advise on the color egg. They're beautiful birds, not flighty (even though I did not interact much with them as babies) and they come back to roost from free ranging every day. A few of the roosters are actually quite curious.

I even managed to score a blue buff pullet!
big_smile.png

Our EE's came from McMurray, you can see them here. There's also a pic of their eggs. We lucked up and have no pink or brown egg-layin' EE's.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom