For Heaven's Sake

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tamrajh, May 28, 2010.

1. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    All week we've had 11, 9, 11 eggs a day suddenly today we have 2 eggs and there's a hole under the coop. I think we have another skunk. We've had chickens for 5 years now and never had skunks. All the sudden this year we decided to sell the eggs so we have skunks. How does that work? Is there a blue light special light that came on for our yard this year?
    "Calling all skunks! Free eggs in West Haven! Green, brown, and soon white eggs. Take your pick!"
    Good grief.

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Darn old skunks. I don't know what to say. I not have skunks here. If you can maybe dig a trench around and line it with chicken wire so they can't dig under. ????

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I swear I had a raccoon once, that on the 5th day of eating chicken every night, he left a note asking for some bbq sauce. Got to make that coop predator proof, and chicken wire will not do it. Hardware cloth for the run, and I have a chain link fence around the outside of my coop.

Fort Knox, but safe chickens and eggs. mk

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have that same little light here somewhere, wish the bulb would burn out! It's not for skunks, thank heavens, it's for yellow rat snakes! We've caught six so far this year.

5. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    I have a 6 foot chain link fence around my yard and 4 geese to fight off any offenders. For some reason they let the skunks right in. Not sure how the skunks are getting through the chain link fence though. Sneaky little buggers, they even come during they day to steal my eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by