For How Many Years Do Hatchery Chickens Lay Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rivers2011, Jun 22, 2011.

1. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    It seems that hatchery chicks get a bad rap and that people have had really good experiences with chicks from breeders laying for many years. Does hatchery stock will also last that long? I called the large hatchery where my chicks came from and they said they weren't sure because most people get new chicks every year. With all the time I've put into these chicks I'd like to see them lay for at least 2-3 years [​IMG]

2. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    they will definitely lay for 2-3 years. hatchery chickens get a bad rap because theyre not show quality

3. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I think hatchery chicks lay better than those bred for show, because they have been bred for good all round production and sturdiness. Depends on the breeder, but show quality ones are often bred to win beauty contests, which can mean sacrificing other qualities, such as production.

In my hatchery chickens I have found quite a wide variation from bird to bird, in terms of production. My best is a rose comb brown leghorn, age 6, still laying several eggs a week spring and summer. The worst was a silver laced wyandotte who laid big beautiful eggs, but for only 1 yr. Barred rocks have consistently laid well for at least 2-3 yrs. Easter eggers have been almost as productive.

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I met a lady once who had a 7-year-old hatchery RIR hen that was still laying 2-3 eggs a week at the age of 7. I have not had chickens that long, so I cannot speak from my own experience for sure.

5. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    great! Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by