For laying chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TomNic, Jan 19, 2015.

1. TomNic

TomNic New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Is Parsley a no no to feed them? Heard that it can kill them. Can't find out if that is true. Thanks Tom

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I grow parsley, or try to. Last year my plant got 2 feet tall until one day during free range they found the plant. It was ate all the way down to the roots probably in a matter of minutes. My chickens are fine. I have never heard that parsley is toxic. I don't think they would have ate it out in nature like they did if it was toxic to them. Just my opinion.

3. TomNic

TomNic New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Thanks much JRB That's good news because mine also got into the Parsley but also seem OK
    Maybe someone being smart online with the Parsley statement
    Tom

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Parsley is actually quite good to eat.

5. glib

glib Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2007
    Parsley, in large doses (1lb+) is toxic or fatal to humans. It is a close relative of water hemlock (Socrates committed suicide with it). That does not mean it is toxic to other animal. Avocado, for example, is toxic to them but not to us.

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Never knew this...

My information came from this sourse http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=100

No where does it mention toxicity...but then again they are referring to people, not chickens.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by