For me, this might just be too stressful

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katoo1, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Katoo1

Katoo1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I feel like everything can and will go wrong. I'm constantly checking temp and humidity, I even wake up during the night. Nothing ever seems to be 100% stable although it's pretty close to that. I just don't feel very relaxed about the whole thing at all and I have this pervading sense of doom that nothing will hatch. And it's only day 4. Yikes.

My temp varies from 98.9 to 100.1. My humidity from around 28% to 45%.

I just wish I could feel a little more laid-back and relaxed about it. I think I've read too many horror stories at this point.

Eek.

2. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    your doing great [​IMG] your temp and humidity is spot on.

3. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I remind myself that when incubating "au natural" mama bird gets off the nest a few times a day to stretch, eat, drink and relieve herself. I noticed that the eggs cool off and naturally the humidity drops as well. I realized there is probably a lot more fluctuation in both when mama bird does it herself than when using a well monitored incubator... helps me put things in perspective [​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:X2

I was like you the first time. I lived in front of the incubator which I purposely put at the far end of a really junky basement to prevent just that.
    A wise BYC member once told me that the temp/humidity/turning thing were guidlines. He said following all the rules incubating doesn't guarantee success, not following the rules doesn't guarantee failure.

Since then I set it and leave it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  5. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Haven't done it yet....but 21 days is a loooonnnnnggggg time to wait. Sounds like you're doing just fine! [​IMG]

6. Katoo1

Katoo1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Quote:X2

I was like you the first time. I lived in front of the incubator which I purposely put at the far end of a really junky basement to prevent just that.
    A wise BYC member once told me that the temp/humidity/turning thing were guidlines. He said following all the rules incubating doesn't guarantee success, not following the rules doesn't guarantee failure.

Since then I set it and leave it.

That's very helpful, thanks so much.

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Are you using a digital thermometer/hydrometer?
    If you breathe next to the bator, everything changes. Will set you into a panic.
    Don't sweat it, should be fine...

8. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Hatching - Is like Baking what may work in your oven may not work in mine - I had to create the Shari House Rules of incubation- I do not add water - I do not check humidity

Everything is adjustable -It took a lot of eggs for me to figure out I just had to monitor two things Location and Temp - Get those two things right and I will have about a 90% hatch

I do not take out my eggs out of the turner they hatch right in it--and no I have never had a chick get flattened lol --- The stress leaves the first time you get the hatch--

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Welcome to the incubation roller coaster [​IMG] it's fun but fraught with perils. Stick with it , those little peepers are worth it

10. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank goodness we're not incubating elephants that have a 21 MONTH gestation!

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by