For over a month i fed my vaccinated chicks medicated feed???!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hrairoo, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my chicks through what I find is a very unreliable distributor, and I was not told that the chicks were vaccinated against coccidioisis! :( I assumed they were not vaccinated, and had been feeding them all medicated feed for a month and a week, only just learned from my neighbour that these chicks ARE vaccinated.................................. AHHHHHHHHHHH i want to scream!

Im so worried i have not had one fatality yet, but i hear that at about 5 weeks they start to get sick from coccidiosis and GRRRRRRRRRR how could they be so irresponsible to not provide that information!! (They also didnt say that my silkies were meat silkies, not "pet" silkies.....)

what do i do what do i do I dont want my chicks to die

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You're fine. They're vaccinated so they shouldn't get it. On top of that you were feeding them medicated feed. How would your neighbor know they are vaccinated? Do they do a lot of dealings with the place you got your chicks from?

Also, I've never heard of a meat silkie before and I really don't know that there is such a thing, other than perhaps a strain of silkies bred to be larger than usual. I really doubt they have the same problems as real meat birds like cornish crosses. Just keep them as pets and it should be fine. They may be larger than regular silkies but that will probably be the only difference.

3. Hrairoo

Have you not heard of "do not feed your vaccinated chicks medicated feed, as they will cancel eachother out"???????????/

i ordered 3 different colours of silkies, waht I got was "Super Silkies" all white. sent a salty email to where I got them, and they went on about how they were meat silkies, crossed to be large. 2 didnt even have silkies feathers. im selling all of the ones that do not have walnut combs, feathered legs, and silky feathers.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I really don't think you'll have a problem, honestly. The vaccine (it's not really technically a vaccine) is done by giving the birds live oocytes to eat, essentially giving them the parasite, so in essence you are having your chicks infected with the parasite on purpose to try to foster immunity if you choose to do this. However, this does not suddenly make the medication in the medicated feed not work. In fact, the strain used to do this is not resistant to medication at all, which is done on purpose so it can be treated. Just keep feeding them medicated feed and you're fine.

On the silkie front, this is too bad. That is really irresponsible of the hatchery. I hope they replace them for you or at least refund you for them.

5. Hrairoo

Thank you, i was really worried... I have access to some sulfa stuff too, just in case.

Silkie: I wish i would get a refund! :( Doesnt like I will though. Im selling the chicks for 10 - 15 dollars though, when I bought them for 6 each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by