For parents......here's a new halloween tradition you might like

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mrbstephens, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

We started this one last year as suggested by a friend of mine.

After trick-or-treating we allow our children to pick out 10 of their favorite pieces of candy to keep and the rest goes in a bowl on the front porch. While they sleep the Halloween Witch comes and magically changes the candy into a new toy!
    We hated how their was so much candy and that the kids were still eating it for weeks after Halloween. We don't spend much on the gift....$10 - $15. The kids are happy and we are happy. [​IMG]

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Very creative!

But who gets the rest of the candy? [​IMG]

3. mrbstephens

Quote:Ha ha! You're onto me! That would be me, my hubby, and then his coworkers get the rest. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We likewise have the kids pick out 10 favorites to be their own, then put the rest in a big bowl on top of the fridge for everyone to share. I hand it out myself piece by piece over the next couple of weeks or so, and then what's left "disappears". This probably only works because all 4 of my kids are still too little to see what's on top of the fridge and can't tell how much candy is left!

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:Ha ha! You're onto me! That would be me, my hubby, and then his coworkers get the rest. [​IMG] [​IMG]

This all sounds like a scam to me LOL:p As a kid part of the fun was sifting through your loot, making trades with your siblings, seeing who could keep candy the longest...

6. mrbstephens

This all sounds like a scam to me LOL:p As a kid part of the fun was sifting through your loot, making trades with your siblings, seeing who could keep candy the longest...

Yes, that part we still do. I'm talking about before bed they can pick 10 of their favorites to keep and the rest goes. They still scarf down tons while trick-or-treating and more at home. I just don't like that they keep eating candy for weeks afterward.

7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV

Yes me and my siblings trade candy too.

8. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I love this idea!!! Thank you Thank you!!
    We have a pumpkin tradition that we do. My son from the time he was big enough to walk has had an obsession with pumpkins. So each year when pumpkin season comes around we get the smallest pumpkin we can find. TINY!!! He totes the thing around and plays with it all over the house. Then when it starts wearing out I throw it out while he is sleeping and replace it with a pumpkin that is a little larger than the original one. He wakes up and thinks the pumpkin grew!!! [​IMG] We probably change that pumpkin out 8 or 9 times before Halloween and by the time Halloween actually gets here he has a great big pumpkin to carve. Although he usually won't let me carve it cause by that time it has a name. [​IMG] It was super cute to see the excitement when he thought it actually grew but now that he is seven it is starting to get down right funny. I just wonder how many more season's he will keep this up. The chickens love the fact that mommy is throwing out pumpkins every week so I guess there is no harm in it.

9. Trendy Chicks

Trendy Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Great Suggestions - love the pumpkin idea - what a sweet age!

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    We never really did the Halloween Trick or Treating much after Steven turned 6. We were getting ready to go and he looks at me and the conversation went like this:
    Steven: "Didn't you tell me not to take candy and stuff from strangers?"
    Me: "Yes Sweetie, why?"
    Steven: "Then why do we go to a bunch of stranger's houses and get candy and stuff?".
    Me: "Okkkk,,, then what do you want to do?"
    Steven: "Let's see a movie!!!"

So now on Halloween we go see a movie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by