? for People getting $4.50-$5.00/Doz.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babalubird, Jan 31, 2011.

1. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Wow, read that some of you were getting $4.50-5.00/doz. for your eggs.

Questions, questions!

To get that price, do you have to be certified "Organic" or is just the promise and knowledge that the chickens are chem-free and free-range enough for your customers, or does that not even enter the equation? Is just farm-fresh the draw?

Do you have to either sell at a Farmer's Market or be in or near a big city to get those prices?

Thanks. Wanna know for future reference.

Connie

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Usually those prices are for anyone who has chickens in an area where there aren't many chickens. [​IMG] You don't need any promises of free ranging, good diet, humane care, or organic lifestyle. . . Golly, out here the storebought eggs go for up to $5 a dozen and the hens are "cage free" - Which sadly people think is humane, as they don't understand what cage free really means. . .

3. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    I personally know the people that buy eggs from me. They know how much I love the girls and that they are treated very well. I only sell enough to pay for feed etc.

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Supply & Demand

I was getting up to $6 a dozen when I brought them to work. Everyone lived in SF and at the time nobody knew anybody with backyard chickens and eggs that were raised by super happy chickens. Not certified anything. I just showed pics of my happy chooks. [​IMG] Oh, and they were hand delivered too. [​IMG]

The same eggs might only go for $2 / dz. in an area where you have a ton of people all raising their own backyard chickens.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Yep. I am a witness to the lower priced eggs. I live in South Louisiana and everyone here has backyard chickens, so farm fresh eggs aren't "as" popular here as they are in other areas. Some people sell their eggs for $1.00 per dozen in my area. I only sell my eggs for $1.50 per dozen. My organic customers will willingly give me $3.00 - $4.00 per dozen. They pay $5.00 - $6.00 per dozen in the store for organic eggs. I wish that I could get a higher price but it won't happen in my area.

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    MIL sells her RIR eggs for $4/doz. I sell my banty eggs for $3/doz. We both use organic feed and they are free range, pesticide free birds.

People pay it here.

7. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    A dozen "natural" eggs at the farmers market here go for $4.50, organic for $6. Like the previous posters said, it's all about supply and demand. And for some weird reason, people here are willing to pay crazy prices for locally grown produce and animal products. Natural ground beef sells for $7/pound, potatoes for $3/pound, apples for $3/pound, heirloom tomatoes for $7/pound, etc. Grocery stores that sell a similar product ask less than 1/2 the price.

8. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    I live in an area with a lot of supply, but we can still pull those prices... We have pretty much the perfect storm of egg markets.

Our town is one of a dying breed of farming communities in New England, every year more and more farms are converted into 1/2 acre lots and suburb-ified around here, and locals have started realizing the town's character is dying along with the farms, so there's a concerted effort to support local producers. Our supermarket carries almost exclusively local eggs, milk and produce for instance.
    All of the people who are moving into the new suburbs are ones who the farm community appeals to, and a large percentage of people moving into town are the more earthy, organic, foodie types. They moved here because of producers like us so they support us, and are also happy to pay a higher price for a superior product.
    The locals are willing to pay more to keep the farms alive, because they've seen what happens as we lose them.

Our town is it's own little universe though, we don't have a chain grocery store or apothecary, almost everything people eat is produced in town (as I said, the market stocks a ton of local goods- meats, cheese, honey and the above mentioned), the preferred beer and wine are both made in town, and so on. I have no idea if I could pull down the same prices 20 minutes away, but I highly doubt it.

9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    chickensbythesea, you sound like you live near my daughter in Maine:) They are big on local grown there. Newcastle Damariscotta

She has been wanting chickens but lives in the woods and needs a secure coop first.

10. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I get $5.00 a dozen but I live in an area that borders some of the wealthiest burbs of Chicago. Health food stores sell eggs for 6.00 so mine are even more attractive. I am not organic but most of my customers know me and my chickens... they know they are truly pampered birds... birds which eat naturally good things. we also deliver. A large group of people at my church buy from me so I bring them there and then my husband drops them of at local drop off points around the area. I also donate about 10-15 dozen a month to those who need food in our church so people like to support me for that reason too... As the others said it depends on what your market will bear. We are about 20 miles from the Wisconsin border and even that small difference would make a huge difference. My husband has family in WI and when he told them what we get for our eggs they fell over in shock.... where they are they buy them for 1.50 to 2.00 a dozen. way more people in WI have chickens then us flatlanders here in IL. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by