For People In The North East......* Heat Wave* & *Bad Storms*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BirdBoy88, Jun 7, 2008.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Were all going to be having a heat wave over the weekend [​IMG] so keep all your pets cool and stay cool your self.. try not to hang out side alot... only go out if you really really need to... drink plenty of water

i wish i didn't have to go out today but i have landscaping work i have to do..

Be Safe [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    That reminds me of a question I have. What, if anything, do we do for our birds when the temp skyrockets? Of course make sure they have shade, but is there anything else that people do? Do chickens just lay low and find shady spots when it's hot? New to chickens and so far it's been pretty cool here!

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Can you believe a heat wave in the spring???? Is this a preview of what out summer is going to be like? [​IMG]

4. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Ice water maybe [​IMG] yogurt pops

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I am going to try and get outside EARLY so that I can get all the stalls cleaned and the chicken coops I absolutely have to do! Plus all the waterers have to be cleaned and filled. You would never know outside right now that it is going to be that hot, I did notice the humidity going up yesterday though. Everyone try and stay cool. [​IMG]

6. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I unfortunately put off mowing the front yard until today and the grass looks like a wild meadow. Fortunately, its almost entirely shade. So, I will dress light and keep the water bottle handy and take lots of breaks if necessary. Also have headache pill ready. Any severe change in weather = migraine.

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    wooo! [​IMG]

i just got back and i am tired to the T!

it's only 11:50am and it's 90 out side! [​IMG]

my body is weak..lol

and when it's hot out like today i spray my chickens with cool water.. not to where there soken wet but just to mist them and they love it then they lay back in the shade.. also have lots of ice water for them [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  8. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    it's 100 here and the 2 week old meats and ducks are outside in the tractor!!! i think they need a fan!!!!

9. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Your thermometer musta been in the sun [​IMG] its 70 here and it cant possibly be that much difference

10. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    well we put a tarp over the tractor so i think that's a bit better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by