For people who make homemade dog food

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JennsPeeps, Oct 24, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My mom told me something funny today. She makes their dogs' food and the recipe calls for squash or pumpkin. She was using pumpkin for a while. The benefits were multiple:

1. The resulting poo is the color of pumpkin pie filling, making it easy to find in the grass.
    2. Said poo is a different color from the local slug population. During her morning rounds of salting the resident slugs, my mom can now avoid salting the orange poo (which she previously mistook for slugs!!).
    [​IMG]

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok that is just darned funny!!! [​IMG]

4. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That's funny! It reminds me of something I do when I need to take one of my dog's stool samples to the vets and don't feel like watching everybody poop to be sure I get the right one. I feed the dog in question GREEN MILKBONES! It turns his poop green! Color-coded dog poop!!! [​IMG]

5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have made my own dog food for almost three years. One thing I always add to the food is the healthy powder. It's simply baked until dry eggshells that I grind in a coffee grinder. A wonderful source of calcium.

Lord knows I have enough eggshells!!!

6. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I really like yall, I do, but thats just a little weird. Dont shake your finger at me!!!! Its weird. I havent even finished my coffee yet and I'm reading about dog poo. :eek:

7. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Hey, if you are a dog lover, at some point you'll probably have to observe your dog's poo ;-). The vet asks about it when certain symtpoms come up.

We have a dog that is allergic to most dog food. We are currently having to pay outrageous prices for prescription venison/sweet potato food. I'm hoping to start making some of our own from scratch.

I appreciate the tip about egg shells.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    does anyone want to share a recipe with me?...

I have an old dog she is 13 malamute...and I am afraid she is starting to go down hill... [​IMG]

it is a known issue as mal's age they ummm..have VERY loose poops...

she is having this issue and is loosing weight..the vet said its normal and we need to try and feed her rice to firm up the stool...

does anyone know of a recipe that would have a high calorie content but have a rice base...(i need to put some pounds back on her...)

I know she will eat it cause "its human food" and that is the all time treat for her. I never give my dogs table food..so then it falls on the floor or my dad comes for a visit they think they have gone to heaven..

9. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Most vets suggest cooked hamburger and rice in a 50/50 ratio for loose stool in dogs.

10. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by