? For people with staggered hatches?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flgardengirl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I am wondering what people who have close staggered hatches are doing with the chicks? Is it okay to put them together if they are say a week and a half apart? Any other ideas?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I keep them in seperate brooders until the newest hatched ones have a chance to figure out eating and drinking, then after a few days if they're no more than a week or so apart I combine them.

3. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I have a stage system set up for brooders. Youngest , feathering, teen, adult and just work them through as they age. I don't like mixing the ages much.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Like Katy, if they are no more than a week apart, I havent had any problem integrating them once they kind of get on their feet with the eating/drinking. More than that, in my opinion, I wouldnt do it.

5. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I do what she said.

6. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    I agree. I had a batch of BO's last year that hatched 5 days after my BR's. I tried putting them together right after they all fluffed up but the BR's wanted to peck at the new guys and all they wanted to do was rest up after all the work they did hatching. So I'd give em a day or two.

7. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I try to have a number of eggs ready to go in at one time. But, I do put one week oles with two week oles. Seem to be okay when their that close in age and that young

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will put a divider in the brooder and add another heat lamp. It is a large brooder so I will wait 2 or 3 days for the little ones and add them to the bigger ones and make sure I watch them for awhile. The next (3rd) batch will be due on the 28th so I will prob have to get a new brooder for that batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by