For real broody or just pretending?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nubbin, Oct 19, 2011.

1. nubbin

nubbin Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I have a silkie/cochin whose been laying for about 2 weeks now and just this Saturday she decided to go broody. We don't have fertile eggs, so I collected the eggs (1 belonged to our EE and the other to her), pulled her out of the nesting box and then closed the nesting box for the day. I was surprised when she seemed to go back to normal behavior as soon as we removed her from the nesting box considering how hard I read it is to stop a hen from being broody. A few days and a few eggs later she decided to go broody again. We did the same drill again and she again snapped out of broody behavior immediately. We only have the two laying hens and we collect their eggs daily.

I'm wondering if what I'm calling broody really isn't. Normally she'll go into the nesting box, take some time to lay the egg and then come back down. We have an A frame coop with the nesting box on the 2nd floor so it's easy to see when the girls are or aren't in the nesting box. We noticed that she hadn't come down for a really long time so we checked on her and she was flattened out and keeping the EE's egg warm (who by the way had been waiting patiently for her to get out of the nesting box so she could take a turn and finally just got in with her, laid her egg and left). I took the EE egg and felt around for her egg. When I didn't find it I left her alone. Awhile later we went back and I found that she had laid an egg which she was sitting on. So I took that and then left her alone again. She wasn't mean to me when I was poking around, she just chattered a bit and got flatter. We waited to see if she would stop on her own since we'd taken both the eggs but she didn't and so that's when we pulled her out of the nesting box and she snapped out of it. This whole scenario just happened again today.

Is this 'real' broody behavior if she snaps out of it so quickly? Or is she just so young that the broodiness will increase in intensity as she gets older?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    My RIR has been doing the same thing.

Lays normal for a few days then seems to want to sit. Sometimes she'll hop on out after an hour or so, other times I have to toss her out and keep her from running back in. After 5 minutes or so she'll leave the box alone and spend the rest of the day with the other girls. She seems to stay in the nesting box longer in general even on days I don't have to kick her out.

3. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    I think she is just playing with the idea for now. A truly broody hen is very determined. My broodies puff up and growl at me when I reach under them. They also are not deterred by merely taking them off the nest. I think that with her being a cochin/silkie cross she will be a broody machine soon, but I don't think she is serious yet. Probably soon, though, so be sure to get a place ready for her to hatch out some babies! I love broody mommas.

4. nubbin

nubbin Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! This is what I was wondering about. We do hope to one day use her as a broody hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by