For sale 2 Freeloaders~ AZ

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Namaste Mama, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    I'm offering up two stubborn freeloaders for sale. 6 weeks ago my husband and I sitting around with nothing better to do decided , hey lets get chickens again.[​IMG] With 6 kids eating us out of house and home we thought it was the way to go. We found an ad on Craigslist for laying hens and off we went to buy ourselves some egg layers. Now we get to the farm and being city slickers that we are we thought we we going to do well. Walking in to the chicken yard where the poor chickens were all crammed in together with turkeys and ducks we were told that they were all a year old and all laying. I picked out two pretty ones and one I was told was a good laying breed, all I was assured layed well. Well six weeks later the good laying breed is doing just that laying an egg a day and the pretty ones are free loading little miss prissys. SO if your looking for a couple of pretty girls that are all looks and expect to be treated like princesses then these are your hens. I'm asking what I paid for them $10 each or I will trade for hen that actually earn their keep. [​IMG]

Loca (named because we think she's a few bricks short of a load)
    [​IMG]
    Blackberry(She loves to be held and is a bossy treat loving girl)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Are you sure they're a year old? They look kind of young to me...[​IMG] Pretty though!

3. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    I honestly don't know much more than I was told.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    LOL well Loca is probably not short a few bricks...she probably is having a hard time seeing. she is a polish and they can act whacky because of limited vision from their top hats....LOL She looks very young.

The Cochin I have no idea but she may not be as old as you were told. She looks young but I am not to0 familiar with them as of yet as my cochins are only 12 weeks old.

I do not think they old enough to lay yet...they can't give what they aren't old enough too. Give them time.

Edit: Are they doing the squat yet when you try to pick them up or pet their backs?

5. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    [​IMG] really? Gosh I feel silly, they are so big I thought for sure they would be laying. Loca won't let us pick her up but Blackberry dose squat when you try to pick her up.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    The pullets I got last year went into autumn/stress molt right after I got them, and they did not lay for a couple of months. On Christmas they turned on the juice and cranked out eggs all winter.

You may just want to give them time. They sure are pretty! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by