FOR SALE: Aussie spotted bantam eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by wb7qni, May 2, 2009.

1. wb7qni

wb7qni Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    Friendship, Maine
    Buff green eggs from our dozen hens, laying strongly now for two months. Ten+ eggs for $35 shipped. Check out our BYC site for incubation instructions and photos on a fascinating, hardy, low-maintenance breed that has given us a great deal of enjoyment and garden companionship. Private mail us for details.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    love the picture of the line in the snow. how cold of temps. can they handle. like a standard size duck?

3. wb7qni

wb7qni Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    Friendship, Maine
    Thanks for the note. They do appear to be a cold hardy breed. Our wintertime temperatures the past two years have been as low as -10F, with an average Jan/Feb temperature of 15F. Given the choice, the Spotteds will spend their days out of their protected pen and enclosed shed, rooting around in the snow. During major daytime storms, they like standing face into the wind, rather than going to shelter.

At night, they come into a shed I built them about a half hour before dusk, usually sleeping inside. During the winter I put up a few split pieces of cloth over their doorway to keep the cold blasts out (like a butchers refrigerated doorway) and they go in and out of this doorway (between a totally enclosed wire pen and this shed) at will.

According to the Holderread book, these bantams are very cold hardy. I'd concur, based on our experience with them in Maine. When their water freezes over (usually a few hours after we change it), they readily substitute snow for their fluid intake.

James

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by