1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FOR SALE - MID-MICHIGAN - Variety of 3-4 week old chicks, ducks, geese

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chicka_chicka_boom_boom, May 11, 2009.

1. chicka_chicka_boom_boom

chicka_chicka_boom_boom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Eaton County, MI
    Hello,

I am new to poultry, and I'm afraid I've just gotten in over my head. I want to do right by these sweet little birds, but my time and finances are not going to allow me to provide the best environment for them at this time. I have 2 young children, ages 1 and 2-1/2, a 6 month-old German Shepherd, just moved into a new place last fall, and I think my eyes were just bigger than my resources. Now that the birds are getting bigger, I am realizing that I just have too much to do right now, and it's not fair to make them suffer. They all seem to be healthy and everything, but they need a bigger space already, and I just don't have the money to buy or build a new coop now. For some reason, I thought I would have more free time to build or find a reasonable solution without spending too much money.

I really don't want to do it, but I'm going to have to re-home these peepers and start again when I am better prepared.

The chicks have been fed Purina medicated chick starter, and their ages vary from almost 3 weeks, to almost 4 weeks old. They are feathering out quickly, and have been handled and cuddled a little bit by me and my 2 year old daughter. They are getting crowded in their little brooder box in the garage.

The runner ducks and African geese are almost 4 weeks old and growing fast. They have been eating unmedicated "Flock Raiser" from Purina. They need someone who will know how and can take more time to give them better care. I am just too busy with my 2 toddlers, and I don't have the money to pay someone to help me make a better space for them to live. Right now they are getting dirty and really don't seem happy with their situation.

It has taken me about a week to get the courage to post these birds up for sale, since I really thought I was going to be able to find a way to take great care of these birds. I'm trying to do the right thing for them, even though it is breaking my heart. My kids are going to be sad to see them go also. I hope no one is going to hold it against me for giving up on this for now. I'm honestly trying to do the right thing by admitting that I can't handle it.

People are starting to come and claim their choice of chicks. I'm starting to get confused about which birds are which breed, but I can give a good guess. Here is what I think I have left:

Pullets: $2.00 each
    3 Isa Browns
    3 Barred Rocks
    3 Black Austrolorps
    3 Ameraucanas
    3 White chickens of unknown breed
    3 Columbian Rocks

Straight Run: $2.00 each
    3 Rhode Island Reds
    4 Assorted Bantams left (these all guesses as to what kind):

Here is a link to pictures of my bantams on the day they came home. They are obviously more feathered out now, and look different, but they are still adorable. The geese are also pictured:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1982877

Ducks: $4.00 each
    4 Fawn & White Runner Ducks (straight run)

Geese: Gone

I am reserving the right to change my mind or keep a select few of these, if I can find a way to provide proper housing for them. Price might be negotiable, as long as you are sure that you can provide what they need and take better care of them than I can right now. I'm just trying to get back a little bit of what I've put into this endeavor. Please help!

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    where at in michigan?

3. chicka_chicka_boom_boom

chicka_chicka_boom_boom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Eaton County, MI
    We live a few miles south of Lansing.

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Wow, you DO have a lot of birds! [​IMG]

Hope you can find loving homes for them; I'd buy a couple, but we're sort of far away. Lol

5. MIChicken

MIChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Southeast Michigan
    Please Pm me.

I was only able to get two chicks but I wanted three. They are the same age as mine. I would LOVE to take one off your hands.

I am close to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by