For Sale - OK - Apenzeller Spitzhauben Eggs ~ Shipping included

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by okcarla, Feb 12, 2009.

1. okcarla

okcarla Seriously Downsizing (NOT)

Feb 12, 2008
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    My spitzhauben's are laying well, so I am offering 10+ eggs for $35 which includes priority shipping to anywhere in the continental U.S. If anyone wants 2 orders in the same box .... 20+ extras ... I'll reduce the price to $55 which includes priority shipping to anywhere in the continental U.S.

[​IMG]

The Appenzeller originates from Switzerland. They have small wattles and combs, so they don't have much to get frostbitten. They have a well spread tail, full hackle and fairly hard, tight plumage. On the head is a horn type comb with two small rounded spires and the unique crest points forward like the bonnets on the traditional costume bonnets worn by the ladies in the Appenzellerland region. Spitzhauben actually means pointed bonnet. They are beautiful, curious birds that are a joy to watch. Hens lay a medium/large white egg. I am continually improving my flock by eliminating birds that develop the "Polish" looking tophats so that my birds are more true to the breed with the forward pointing crests.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I never knew what these looked like until yesterday! I saw them in a book and thought they were nice. Yours look better than the ones I saw in the book, but...bators are full, so have to wait.

~Rebecca

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You got to have SOME! I've hatched out some of her chickies and they are goreous!

May I tempt you with another pic???? Or two?[​IMG]

4. okcarla

Feb 12, 2008
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Quote:Thanks Robin!

My hens are doing great now ... 11 eggs today!

I will definitely be adding lots of extra eggs with any order and can probably even send 2 orders in the mail on Tuesday. If anyone wants 2 orders in the same box .... 20+ extras ... I'll reduce the price to $55 which includes priority shipping to anywhere in the continental U.S.

5. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Much as I would like to try them I won't have any money available until Wednesday of next week. They are considered a Large Fowl breed and not a bantam breed right?

6. okcarla

Feb 12, 2008
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    FrChuckW,

If the hens are accomodating, there will probably be eggs available for you next week if you are still interested.

Yes, they are considered a large breed fowl and are quite rare in the United States.

7. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Are they approved by the apa, like can i bring to shows? They are nice looking birds

8. okcarla

Feb 12, 2008
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Quote:Thank you!

Unfortunately, since they are so rare in the U.S. I don't think they are approved by the APA, although I do know a nice young lady named Grace, aka GracefulBantams, that showed hers at a poultry show & won a ribbon.

9. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Quote:Carla, yes I am still interested I can PayPal you the money on Wednesday afternoon if that's okay.

10. okcarla

Feb 12, 2008
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Quote:Yes, that will be fine and I will send out fresh hatching eggs to you Thursday. I'll send you a pm with payment info.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by