? for serama or banty owners

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by carriehelene, Sep 8, 2009.

1. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    I have some serama and banty eggs in the bator. What do you all do about waterers for the babies? Did you use a regular waterer or come up with something else? It just seems to me that the banties I saw in the store in the spring were just sooo tiny, I don't know how they could drink out of a regular waterer. And the Serama's, well they aren't gonna be much bigger than a quarter (I don't think). Any advice?

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I used a regular chick waterer. I just had stones in it so nobody fell in and drowned.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Yep, me too....waterer with stones or marbles [​IMG]

4. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Whew, thank you both. I was so worried they would be too small for a regular. I always put marbles in the waterers for the chicks, but I've never done banty babies before, wasn't sure they'd be able to reach [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I also use a regular waterer, but the first few days I seem to have a shallow bowl in the brooder instead. I'm a bit short on waterers, so it seems to work out that way often.

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Regular 1 qrt water - plastic with the red base. I didn't bother with rocks or marbles because it's shallow and only 1" wide where the top attaches. Not enough room for them to fall in.

I have three banties that did just as well as the ten full sized chicks.

Enjoy your little ones.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    You can get the little tiny base that goes on the qt size bottle. It's for the chicks and that way you don't have to put anything in it. I used it for a week and then switched over to a regular base. Also with the Serama chicks you may have to crunch up the crumbles even a little more. Mine had such a hard time eating until I crunched it up for them. You really only have to do that for about a week or two. Good luck [​IMG]

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Put marbles in a regular waterer, use a hamster water bottle (they actually pick these up faster than they do dishes of water), or cut the bottom off something like a plastic cup (not styrofoam, chickens love to eat styrofoam). The last one is what I do for quail especially buttons and have done it when I just had a few bantams. Whenever I can these days I use water bottles for my chickens. From hamster bottles for little ones up to the largest rabbit bottles, which they also use for puppies sometimes, for penned up breeding trios.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by