for some of the newbies...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K-9Dog, Jan 29, 2013.

1. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    well I had 3 RIR's and lost one the last day of a month long heat spell of 110 plus. I eventually bought two young Golden Comet hens from a neighbor who raises all types of birds. the were supposedly laying but only one seemed to lay - maybe the 2nd laid the '1 Golden Egg'. then stopped. she was picked on badly for month by the 2 RIR's and i had to intervene many time. well about a month to a month and a half ago she bottom of the barrel one started laying and boy does she lay... HUGE extra giant eggs the extra-large egg container I have cannot be closed they are that big. I had pretty much given up on her producing but many months later - POP - she started popping them out. she also fits in so much better but it took months for her to be accepted.

reason for posting this is that many people are wondering about these dynamics. in my case - took a lot of food and then time but now - wow she produces incredible.

also - I use a solar light - turn it on at 5 AM and off at about 6:15 and on again at about 5PM and off at about 8 at night. my egg production has been great! Hope this helps someone out.

2. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

congrats on getting an egg

3. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    not only 1 but many! and huge!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by