For the drive home

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by From the North, Mar 24, 2013.

1. From the North

From the North Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    I'm going to pick up my first batch of chicks this Wednesday. The forecast for that morning is about 20F. The drive will take about 45min-1hr. How much do I need to worry about keeping them warm in the car on the way home? I was thinking I should bring some of those chemical hot packs to put under the box, as well as keeping the heat turned up in the car. I told my husband I'll stuff them all inside my down coat if I have to :)

any tips?

2. aissak

aissak Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Niantic Illinois
    That is a good idea. Put a kitchen towel over the box so no draft and put them down on the floor by your heater. They will huddle together to stay warm enough until you get them home as long as the car is warm when you pick them up.

3. achickschirp

achickschirp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeah I need tips I'm a first timer to taking chicks home. At TSC they put them in a box, I don't know what they do at Orcheln though. Also would they get a long if they are different breeds? Just a question.... I get very deep in thought! Also would they huddle together if they weren't the same breed?

4. aissak

aissak Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Niantic Illinois
    Sure the sooner they are together the better from my experience. If they have been kept apart there is always a chance that they will get disease from the other group. Be aware too that you might loose one or two and it is heart breaking. I got 11 new babies and lost 3 this week. Pasty butt got 2 of them even though I had cleaned them up well, they had not taken care of them well at the farm store before I got them.

5. CapoBro

CapoBro Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Kansas
    I got 2 Austrolorps, 2 Sussex and 3 Dominiques this Monday and they all huddle together just fine. One Dominique was weak and ill for a couple days so I quarantined her to a shoe box within the brooder (mostly so that the others wouldn't peck on her.) She made progress and was eating and drinking better so I reintroduced her to the flock and the bigger of the Austrolorps come over and lay down beside her. It was pretty cool to see.

6. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    ok so I have two different answers. Would they huddle? And is it safe to keep them in the same box? I might only get three and I'm wanting all different breeds. My sister gets three too so we will have six. We might go ahead and get eight though...

7. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    I put one of those microwavable hot pads in the bottom of the box, under the shavings to keep the chicks warm. I heated it up and wrapped it in a thick towel at home and it was perfect temp in to line to chick box when we needed it an hour later.

Getting a box that is small enough to hold in natural heat is a good idea too. I manes shoe boy is the perfect size for 8-12 day old chicks.

8. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    oooh thanks! I have a heat pad good idea!

9. From the North

From the North Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    I didnt even know I needed to bring a box? Won't my order come in it's own box?

10. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    Yes, it should come in a box we thought that you were picking them out at some store or atleast i did

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by