For the "House Chicken" folks... what's the craziest... ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Aneesa's Muse, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I know there are a few of us "house chicken" folks on here ..those that diaper and generally let their bird have free run of the house..

I'm just curious what are some of the craziest things you've witnessed your chicken doing IN YOUR HOUSE..

Here's my topper, as of today..

I was making some Chicken Fettucine Alfredo this afternoon, and Benjamin was helping, as usual. He helps by getting the bits that might "pop off" the cutting board ...little pieces of tomato, mushroom, cooked noodle and so on.

Well... I left the Sun-dried tomato Alfredo sauce and Fettucine on the stove top, after letting it simmer for a bit ...and went out to the livingroom for a quick minute. Ben was on the floor, looking for more dropped goodies and I didn't think anything of it. When I returned to the kitchen, Benjamin was NOT on the floor anymore...

He was ON THE STOVE!!!! [​IMG] ..and helping himself to some Fettucine Alfredo ...right out of the POT!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I couldn't get the camera fast enough ..and I really didn't want to leave him there, eating out of my pot! I don't let ANYONE eat out of my pots! [​IMG]

What are some of your craziest "adventures" ??

2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Oh my word!! I have nothing funnier at all!! But that is hilarious~~ [​IMG]

BTW~~Where do you GET chicken diapers??! [​IMG]

3. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks! [​IMG]

I make my own diapers ...just seems so much easier for me to get the right size, if they are right here for me to measure and work out any kinks (or mistakes). Of course, I get to shop for MORE fabric this way, too [​IMG]

If you google "chicken diapers" or "duck diapers" ...there are a few sites that have them for sale.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I talked about getting our "first born" Serama a chicken diaper and my hubby laughed me out of the house! He THINKS I was kidding [​IMG] I wasn't [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    That is so neat! I love fabric, too~~a great reason to buy some more now.....Thank you for the tip! [​IMG]

Now, I just have to go convince my family about this!! [​IMG]

6. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    I need a pattern for a chicken diaper...

7. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I bought an old black silkie from a farmer at a sale barn..named him Cooter... he was so gentle with the hens and chicks and fed them even before he would eat.
    The cold weather was so hard on him that I finally let him live in our basement. I would bring him up to watch t.v with us..
    It was so funny cause he would watch it and some scenes would set him off and he would kind of hoot at the t.v.
    loved that old rooster and still miss him to this day.

8. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    Do a search on here theres folks that have patterns.

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Carmilla was always trying to fly up on us and eat out of our plates, it never got old and was always funny. When Lucas napped on the couch she would jump up and nap with him. She was my first house chicken and I still miss her.
    We have a BJG and a SLC now, they are almost 3 months and we got to specifically to be in the house but I really want to bring in the bantam/standard mutt that got born here (entirely by accident) she is the sweetest thing EVER. Lucas found her still wet laying in the middle of the chicken yard and we didnt think she'd make it but she did.

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I've never kept chickens indoors, but we will bring them inside one at at time to check their weight.
    We brought Hotwing in one day and he got away from us. We decided to just let him cruise around the house to see what he'd get into and he promptly jumped up on the couch, laid down, and watched TV. He stayed there for a few minutes... I didn't want to risk getting poop on my couch!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by