For the Love of a Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by nikevijo, Mar 24, 2009.

1. nikevijo

nikevijo HorseAholic

Apr 20, 2007
    Long Island NY
    A few years ago my horse kicked my Sebastopol and broke his wing. The only solution was to amputate. My vet assured me he would adjust fine with only one wing. It literally cost me a "wing and a leg" but it was worth it. The non crazy pet people thought I was nuts to spend $1000 on a goose.. But they just didnt understand.
    Now almost 3 yrs later he is still one of the gang. The first pic is of him after surgery. A fews months later he is swimming in the pool (he is the the one flapping, notice the one wing)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Good for you! We 'crazy pet people' totally understand!

4. nikevijo

nikevijo HorseAholic

Apr 20, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I figured you would! [​IMG]

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    They sure are beeeeaUtiFUL!! How would you rate this breed for a family pet? Doing research to see if we want one or not.
    Thanks

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    if it makes you feel better, my ducks are pets and they have bed luck when it comes to health issues...

We had a baby duckling die at a week old, we spent 150$ at the vet trying to save him.

Victor cut his feet open (pretty princess feet that aren't used to walking on sticks, lol, they mostly walk on carpet) and they needed to be dressed/cleaned/banaged, and got medicine to prevent infection, about 40$

Victor went to the vet when he coudln't walk right over christmas, 90$ (He magically got better a few hours after bringing him, what a punkie, though he did lose his back nail a week later)

Victor (who is actually female) became egg bound and had to go to the vet to be cleaned out and put on antiboitics, about 100$

Ming mei has been the worse... Her bumblefoot is still an ongoing problem.... 200$ the first visit (exam, antibiotics, and xray). Then 30$ worth of bandage/antiseptic products. Then another 120$ for her next exam, and to have her foot cut open. Then 36$ more for her check up. And i'm going back to the store today for more bandages. yeesh!

So, since i got my ducks back in aug. 08, i've spent abot 790$ so far. And of course we'll spend more if any of them get sick or hurt again. And now we got two more ducklings... Hopefully they'll have better luck not getting sick/hurt! lol.

So major kudos to you for loving your goose enough to pay such a high price. Most people will cull a hurt animal and just get a new one since they are so cheap (no offense to people who do). some of us have our animals more like pets rather than utility animals or farm animals. If i had 20 ducks i probably wouldn't pay so much either, i'd go broke! lol

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

how do you keep your pool so pretty and blue with 3 geese swimming in it... is it chlorinated? Please explain how that all works, it looks beautiful, but I'm a bit confused.

8. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I always thought it was bad to let birds drink chlorinated water... o_O;

Which they're bound to do the second they get wet.

( This makes me want a Sebbie even more! My poor Perdi goose is lonely... She needs a man. [​IMG] )

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  9. nikevijo

nikevijo HorseAholic

Apr 20, 2007
    Long Island NY
    My pool is salt water, no chlorine. I would never let them swim in chlorine. Thats definately bad

10. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Quote:Wow, how does that work?
    I've heard of it, but never knew if anybody actually used it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by