For the LOVE of geese!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FishingMT, Apr 4, 2017.

1. FishingMT

FishingMT Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2017
    Big Sky Montana
    CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS? I am looking to buy 3 female goslings. I have went thru over 40 hatchery websites & all goslings are sold- Straight Run or in pairs. We have all female ducklings and we would like 2 or 3 geese, but only females. We don't want any drakes or ganders in our flock. Our main reason for ducks are to enjoy their company as pets & their delicious & nutritious eggs. They will have a small pond we prepared for them & large yard during the day. We are very excited for summer to introduce them to the garden. We have searched high & low to find a hatchery that will sell either *single sexed female goslings* or *paired females goslings* I am willing to pay airfare costs and extra for a unique order! Can anyone point me in the right direction? (Want geese, no gamders!) Will check out ANY & ALL hatcheries you can provide. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Metzer will sell you two females of some breeds, like Africans, Embdens, and White Chinese, without having to order males, but that's it. They won't sell you more than two without a male also being ordered. That makes sense because they don't want to be stuck with all the males and have to kill them because they didn't sell. You might be able to mix and match and order two females of one breed and one female of another but I'm not sure what their rules are on that.

Ideal Poultry has no limits on what you order, but it looks like they're already out of geese this year and won't have more until next year. You could call them to confirm, but their website says they are sold out.

That's really going to be it. Hatcheries don't want to sell females separately because then the males don't sell and they have to be killed.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  6. FishingMT

Apr 3, 2017
    Big Sky Montana
    Thanks guys for all the response!! I never thought of the poor males being unwanted & killed! That saddens me. If I do get a gander with all my female ducks, will be pick on them during mating season?

7. FishingMT

Apr 3, 2017
    Big Sky Montana
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to check out your state thread to see if any BYCERS are in the neighborhood. Just put state name in the search box above and it will come up. Good luck

1 person likes this.
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under FishingMT [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

10. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

No, he won't bother them if he has goose females :) My gander has three girls and he'd never think of looking at the ducks, lol.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by