1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For the love of mutt chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HHandbasket, Jan 22, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Lots of folks come to this section to show pictures of their beautiful purebreds and share stories of certain breeds. Let's talk about our mutt chickens and mixed breeds, their behaviors (good AND bad), what makes them unique, and when possible, share pictures!

I have a mutt named Olga. She's a small bird, half American game and half EE. She just started laying this past week, and we weren't sure what color eggs she'd lay. Her mother was an EE, and she has a peacomb but her eggs are small barely-blush pink and just sooo cute. She's a tiny bird, and I think her father might have been a bantam american game rather than a regular, or are regular
    american games small chickens by nature?

I'll post her pics as soon as I find one that's clear. She runs when we come out and try to take pics of her.

We are about to hatch out some more mutts, too.

So what kind of mutts are y'all producing?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    When we get an incubator, my son-in-law is going to hatch some Red sex link egg, that will be sired by a Dark Cornish rooster. I'm anxious to see what this will produce, hopefully some hens that favor the cornish but lay very well like the sex link.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    In November I hatched out bsl/rir mix. Right now i have a Delaware roo in with BA's BR's NN's and 3 that are already mixes not real sure what they are. Am curious to see what color combos I get out of these. I also hatched 2 khaki campbell/runner mixes.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

An interesting one of mine is a Rooster which looks EXACTLY like a New Hampshire Red rooster.

His Father is a "Golden Comet" (Red Sex-Link). His Mother was a pure-bred Buff Orpington.

A MUTT that doesn't LOOK like a "Mutt".

Ha-Ha !!!
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I have some mutt eggs in the bator right now. Austrolarp rooster over Red Sex Link Hens, LF Cochin Hens, Barred Rock Hen, Dominique Hen, EE Hen, and Ameraucan Hen. I bought 8 eggs locally that are from this group. The Ameraucana egg she gave me was clear. I have 1 green egg from her EE and am not sure which brown egg goes to which hen so they are gonna be surprise chicks.

Got 1 shipped egg that is Ameraucana x Wyandotte that is also developing in the bator.

6. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    How funny, I have been wanting to start a thread on mutt chickens. Here is my mutt cockerel, Tully. His dad is a black silkie and his mom is a mille fluer d'uccle (my avatar). He was hatched on July 9, 2010, and he is super sweet.
    [​IMG]

This is his "broody momma", she is a cohcin/silkie. She is very soft and very sweet.
    [​IMG]

7. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    flowerchick - he is so handsome!
    I have some mutt 3 week old baby chicks - the mothers are PBR and SLW but the roo is a pretty orange mutt - I have one black fuzzy one, 1 buff and 3 yellow - cant wait to see them feather out!
    (the Mama is not the actual Mama of any of the chicks)
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here's my latest mutt. He is 1/2 Delaware, 1/4 Barred Rock and 1/4 Blue Ameraucana *and needs a new home*

[​IMG]

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    pics are adorable.
    Mutts are so neat to see.

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:What a ver handsome young man. I'd take him if I lived closer to you but alas that is my station, always live in the wrong place when I find something I like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by