? for the pro's....

streemers

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
port orchard,WA
my ducks hatched the 21st of feb. and i wanna take the brooder lamp out. it has only been around 40 deg f at night and i dont want them to get to cold. should i turn it off or wait for the nights to get warmer?
thanks

Personally I would leave it on especially if they are used to being warm. If you follow the so called formula of starting at 95 degrees and dropping 5 degrees per week, they should still be at 70 degrees. I little more time under the light couldn't hurt.

It certainly won't hurt to leave them the heat lamp a little longer if they want it. I have 14 ducklings that hatched on Feb. 23rd that are outside without heat. We've had temps as low as the upper 30's during the past week. They have a large dog crate with hay that they can all pile into and stay warm, but the cold doesn't seem to be bothering them at all.

Webfoot

Ducklings dont need as much heat as chicks, nor for as long. You could start by turning it off during the day and moving the light further away from the brooder at night.

Chel

Quote:
the above post is what i would do.

I don't understand... don't they get cold during the daytime, too??
how does day or night differ in temp??

where we live it is (has been) almost the same temp day and night..

does the daylight hitting them in the eyes make them warmer??

here at least, the temp drops by 20 degrees at night. sorry for assuming it'd be the same where you are
hu.gif

maybe just turn the light off on warmer days during the day and turn it back on at night. on average/cold days leave it on. that's what I'd do anyhow... hope it helps
hmm.png

you have ducks... i wish i had ducks
big_smile.png

Our ducks hatched February 17, and they've been outside for a week in the same kinds of temps without a heat lamp.

They're doing just fine, and I'd suspect yours will, too!

Back
Top Bottom