For the record - GFF never sold Coronation splits

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Saltysteele, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    I contacted Greenfire Farms about my Coro X Light split sussex. The gentleman I purchased them from stated they were from Greenfire Farms. Upon further research I've found several folks claiming their splits were from GFF (and I'm not saying they're not).

Just to clarify to folks like me who are new to these designer chickens [​IMG] (they're like pokemon cards, gotta have at least one of each kind [​IMG] ), I contacted GFF to find out if they sold/have ever sold coronation splits. They were awesome, answering my silly question right away! They're answer is below.

I also asked if a chicken had the coronation coloring, if it was actually a coronation or a split with coronation colorings. If I managed to get some coronation chicks, I didn't want to misrepresent them as coro's if they were actually splits. They also answered this, and I was pleased with their answer [​IMG]

We never sold coro splits, but a lot of breeders do it to boost genetic diversity. A coronation is a homozygous Coro/Coro, so if it looks like a coronation, it is a pure coronation. Hope that helps.

So, if someone says their splits are from Greenfire, they are not direct (as I've been told several times on different forums they've sold them) from GFF. The chickens may be from GFF breeding lines, but the breeder did the actual splitting. Which I hope, then, that if a breeder says their splits are from GFF lines that both lines are from GFF and not just the coro's. In other words, I would hope that if they say they are from GFF that the coro's and the lights are 100% from GFF, and that the breeder isn't breeding in 25% GFF lines and 75% Fred's chicken farm breeding line, and using the Greenfire name to infer they are 100% from Greenfire farms (what I would expect when someone says their chickens are from Greenfire Farm lines).

Thanks, Greenfire!! I appreciate when a business with entertain silly questions from someone who is not even buying anything!​

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    If I'm not mistaken (and I could be) GFF sold Coronation Rooster and Light hen juvanille pairs on eggbid, I would consider that as being a split.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Split once they mated...

4. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    I was under the impression that with the small amount of coronations in the US that if you wanted to improve your birds or introduce new blood you pretty much had to make splits. Then breed the splits bake to coronations. Also since they sale coronations and lights that means they sale the makings of a split.

5. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I see that I didn't finsh my Light Sussex split hen on the first post.

But what you said was what I was thinking and sometimes that hurts. [​IMG]

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    yes, according to their reply, they understand breeders to split do boost genetic diversity.

also, didn't mean to make it sound like anyone here was doing that. obviously, as a reputable breeder here, one would want to keep their reputation clean and integrity high.

greenfire has set a standard and built up a reputation as a great breeder, and i can understand how someone would be sure to let people know they are the origins of their birds, i will. without documented lineage, we are stuck taking people on their word that their stock is as they say it is.

it's more than "i don't want to get scammed," it's that i don't want to misrepresent what i am selling. integrity is important to me, as i'm sure it is to others here.

there are those, though, who will claim GFF heritage, when there is only a small percentage, knowing that someone could not prove otherwise.

also, when you drop a wad of cash, it IS nice to get what you wanted to buy [​IMG] sure, GFF aren't the only ones with great bird stock. in the same way, you could have two identical cycles standing side by side, but the one with the harley davidson badge is going to demand more money, because people KNOW what they're getting when they buy a HD. not saying HD (or GFF in this case) is any better than the other, but you know what you're getting and your not just gambling to get what you want.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by