For the thousands of OPERA fans on here... TODAY'S THE DAY

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
Since you've all been waiting for this announcement with bated breath...

http://www.fathomevents.com/opera/series/themetropolitanopera.aspx
On October 9th at 1:00 P.M. Eastern time, the Met is opening this season's operas for your city's/town's local theaters with Wagner's Das Rheingold, first part of The Ring cycle of four operas. In May they will perform the second one, Die Walkure. Hopefully, next year they will do the final two, Siegfried and then Gotterdammereng. I've seen the previews of Das Rheingold, and believe me, it's evident that the Met is determined to outdo the famous standard Ring production done and recorded at Bayreuth in 1976... that Patrice Chéreau/Pierre Boulez Ring Cycle at Bayreuth is available on DVD.
Just for the staging it's going to be worth going to see, but I warn you that Wagner's Ring cycle is, without question, the longest hair of "long-hair music". Not only that, each of the four operas are three to four hours long.
BTW I prefer seeing the Met's operas in my local theater than at the Met itself. I paid $175 each for tickets at the Met last time, but at my local theater for $18 I felt like I had better seats, got to eat popcorn/coke, was given a tour behind stage, and I got to watch interviews with the singers during intermission.
http://www.fathomevents.com/Opera/event/rheingold.aspx
Find your closest local participating theater here. Note that the states are in alphabetical order.
http://www.ncm.com/FathomContent/PDF/MET0910Theaters091009_LIVE.pdf

Last edited:
But how was the sound in the theatre?

It'll will be showing in a theatre in Scottsdale not far from our home.

Quote:
The local theater that I go to has a great sound system. Considering the modern movies' need for a great sound system, I'd say most theaters would be well equipped.

I also want to add, folks, that this might be the last chance you will ever have of seeing The Ring. It's a super-expensive/difficult undertaking to put it on. When it is done, it's almost always an instant sellout, and the price of a ticket can be outrageous.

You might want to fly to New York to see it at the Met next week. Tickets are $123 - $864. If you go, will you take me?
http://www.broadwayticketscenter.com/ResultsTicket.aspx?evtid=1317515&event=Das+Rheingold

ETA
There
are only 17 tickets left at the Met. So if you're going to take me, leave your spouse at home and buy us the two for central orchestra. Whoever you are, you and I are worth it.
Tickets below are available for this event.
Section▼ Row▼ # Avail▼ Price (each)▼
FAM CIRC K 1 or 3 $123.00
Note:
FAM CIRC J 1-6 or 8 $123.00
Note:
FAMILY CIR. K 2 $220.00
Note: SEAT NUMBERS 103 AND 104. CENTER SEATING
FAMILY CIR.. K 1 or 3 $220.00
Note: SEATS ARE LEFT CENTER ON FAMILY CIRCLE
DRESS CIRCLE B 1 $319.00
Note:
REAR ORCH EE 1 $368.00
Note:
GRAND TIER B 1 $490.00
Note:
CENT ORCH Q 2 $864.00

Last edited:
Joe,

Come to Seattle. The Seattle Opera does the Ring Cycle every year. It's a big deal- like you said.

Imp

Joe, I LOVE opera but the tickets are so cost prohibitive particuarly if you want to see big name singers on stage. A once in a lifetime dream of mine to see Pavarotti, Domingo and Alfredo Kraus but alas, two of them are gone now. Domingo either is retired or semi retired from singing. I may be out of luck here.

J. Florez would be the next new rising star in the horizon. With his good looks and charm but with a bit of inexperience in heavy roles, I am sure he will get to the top like the others with his own stamp. I would not mind seeing him on stage but not at the MET.

If I was to go an opera, the Chicago Opera would be the one I would go but I would have to go to the highest bleachers or standing room to get an earful. A movie theather would be perfect but I hope the sound is very good but not so overpowering that it would make your ears ring like it did for me an opera play I Pagaccali (the clown), my ears were ringing for two days. I must have some brain damage to it LOL! If the movie theater has wooden stages, walls, the sounds are more pleasing to the ears than metal walls. Plaster walls give somewhat a harsh sound travel, almost echoey.

Keep me posted in how you liked it!

Quote:
There you go, trying to make me cry about an awful memory of Anne's abusing me.
About a hundred years ago, I taught summer school to earn and save the money so that I could go to Seattle to see it.
Yep, you got it. Anne decided that we needed to spend the money on bills.
My life is a desert.

Quote:
There you go, trying to make me cry about an awful memory of Anne's abusing me.
About a hundred years ago, I taught summer school to earn and save the money so that I could go to Seattle to see it.
Yep, you got it. Anne decided that we needed to spend the money on bills.
My life is a desert.

gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Never let it be said that Joe D. Bryant does not fulfill lifetime dreams of EweSheep.
YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND:
Rossini’s Le Comte Ory - New Production

April 9, 2011 at 1:00 pm ET
U.S. Encore: Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 6:30 p.m. local time
Canada Encores: Saturday, May 7, 2011, 1 p.m. ET; Monday, June 13, 2011, 6:30 p.m. ET
Expected Running time: 3 hours

Rossini’s vocally dazzling comedy stars bel canto sensation Juan Diego Flórez in the title role of this Met premiere production. He vies with mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato, in the trouser role of Isolier, for the love of the lonely Countess Adèle, sung by soprano Diana Damrau. Bartlett Sher, director of the Met’s hit productions of The Barber of Seville and The Tales of Hoffmann, describes the world of the opera as, “a place where love is dangerous. People get hurt. That can be very funny and very painful. Rossini captures both—with the most beautiful love music Rossini ever wrote.”

Maurizio Benini; Diana Damrau, Joyce DiDonato, Susanne Resmark, Juan Diego Flórez, Stéphane Degout, Michele Pertusi

Gluck’s Iphigénie en Tauride

February 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm ET
U.S. Encore: Wednesday, Mar. 16, 2011, 6:30 p.m. local time
Canada Encore: Saturday, Mar. 26, 2011, 1:00 p.m. ET
Expected Running time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Susan Graham and Plácido Domingo reprise their starring roles in Gluck’s nuanced and elegant interpretation of this primal Greek myth. Tenor Paul Groves also returns to Stephen Wadsworth’s insightful production, first seen in 2007. Patrick Summers conducts.

Patrick Summers; Susan Graham, Plácido Domingo, Paul Groves, Gordon Hawkins

Back
Top Bottom